Chapter Thirty Four

"Ohhh my goodness... I am so glad to be out of the heat!" I exclaimed practically flying out of Darryl's pickup truck as we pulled into the driveway of his and Sandra's house.

"It wasn't that bad... The air conditioning just stopped working a while ago and I didn't have time to go fix it", Darryl grumbled as he shut the door of the driver's side and followed me up the front steps. He also muttered "city kids" under his breath but I ignored him.

"You wouldn't have time... Your job is too stressful", I complained, frowning at him as he reached the front door and reached to dig out his house keys from the pocket of his jeans.

"It's what I'm good at and it takes care of the bills around here", Darryl informed me, giving me a look as he unlocked the door and stepped into the house which smelled heavenly as usual. Sandra must be performing wonders in the kitchen.

"I know, I know... but there must be other options. I mean exerting yourself in the sun all day certainly can't be good for you, considering your err... health", I meant to say age but I caught myself just in time.

Darryl's look told me I wasn't fooling anybody with my selection of words. "Hey I know I've got a few grey hairs here and there but that does not make me weak in any way. I am very agile and strong!" he announced boldly and happily

I rolled my eyes at him as I made my way towards the kitchen to help Sandra out while he got comfortable on the living room couch. "Yeah, sure I could tell from the way you used your strength and agility to yell instructions at everyone all day".

Darryl just chuckled, and I smiled triumphantly to myself, I had won that battle. The first of many, I hoped.

I didn't make it to the kitchen because Sandra was coming out the hallway to meet us.

"Welcome back, Ellie", Sandra smiled broadly at me, a weird glint in her eye as she hugged me.

"Hi Sandra", I pulled away from her and looked her over, trying to place my finger on what was odd about her face splitting smile "You're awfully cheery today"

"She's always like that when she has something up her sleeve", Darryl announced from the couch in between flipping stations with the television remote.

"Oh, hush now", Sandra admonished him in a playful way, still smiling

"So how was your day together guys?" she asked us both, leading me back to the living room so we could all sit.

"It was actually pretty fun", I said as I recalled meeting my father's friends and how they had made jokes about how he managed to skip child support for nineteen years and how they hadn't gotten the memo about bring-your-newfound-daughter-to-work day. "Either ways, I think his job is getting a bit too demanding for him".

I hoped Sandra would agree with me and together, we could get through to Darryl.

She nodded; obviously this was nothing new to her. "Darryl still thinks he's got the strength of a pro WWE wrestler. Well we'll just have to wait and see what the mayor elections bring. A new job, hopefully"

"I'm still here and I can still hear you guys so you don't need to talk over me like I'm not in the room", Darryl grumbled from the couch

Sandra shook her head disapprovingly at him and I suddenly felt a bittersweet pang in my chest, I would miss them when I had to leave.

Which reminded me... where was my sexy boyfriend?

"Umm is Noah all packed? I didn't see the car when we pulled up..." I inquired looking at Sandra for some answers "... He called and said he wanted to get gas but that was a while ago and he hasn't replied my texts ever since"