Chapter Forty Six

Two months later

"So Jesse said we could hang out later and have a study group. I mean nobody can wrap their heads around these... Fourier transforms", Marley stuck her tongue out like the topic was going to make her sick as she chattered on "... And it would be great if we could get it done before Sunday because I have to go see my sister, it's her birthday on Monday and we planned a trip to Orlando... I mean we've been planning it forever but we've never actually gone, you know. Can you believe it? She's an even bigger procrastinator than I am... But then again, we're very competitive in everything, since we were born. My mother says..."

Maya shot me an alarmed wide-eyed look over Marley's bright red ponytail and we had shared enough of those over the past month when we all started taking the same elective together and met the delightful and outgoing Marley. This particular look meant, 'I can't believe she hasn't taken a breath yet'.

I sent Maya another look over Marley's head, she was about 5 feet tall so it was quite convenient for us. Mine said, I knowww....

We all got to the parking lot and stopped abruptly; this was where we usually branched off to our respective cars. Maya and I had moved into a new apartment off campus together and sometimes we came to school in her car or mine, but not today, as we had a bunch of classes we didn't offer together.

"So where are we going to eat? Ellie, can I ride with you?" Marley asked sweetly

I looked at Maya in alarm. I was so not in the mood for Marley's bright and chipper yammering tonight. I had been feeling kind of low lately; and in as much as I tried to push the dark feelings away, they kept coming back with vengeance. And to top it all off, I had scored a B in a test during the week; my lowest grade in a long time.

Don't get me wrong, Marley was awesome and funny and I loved hanging out with her. We usually got dinner after class on Thursdays but today, I just needed some peace and quiet solitude. Wallowing in my thoughts and sorrows sure wasn't healthy, but I had to let it out sometime, or else it would just well up in me until I lashed out, and that wouldn't be a pretty sight.

Maya understood everything perfectly, without me having to say a word.

"Umm... Marley", she snaked her arm around Marley's back "I think Ellie has a pretty important paper she needs to work on tonight. You know what; you and I should get dinner. Then we could go get some drinks at the place Brett Thomas usually hangs out... It'll be fun"

Marley's green eyes sparkled to life at the thought of that... Brett Thomas was the college's QB and her ultimate crush. "Oh yeah, sounds great!" then she looked at me apologetically "That's if Ellie doesn't feel left out"

I waved my hand at her and gave her a smile. "Me? No no... I'll be fine. You girls go have fun and I want to hear all the deets later". I even managed a wink.

"Are you sure?" Marley bit her lip, not wanting to offend me. She was so nice.

"Of course", Maya swooped in "Ellie wouldn't like that kind of scene anyway"

I nodded, trying to assure Marley.

"Okay then", she agreed slowly, then perked up like fireworks on the fourth of July "Can we go to my dorm first, Maya? I have to change and freshen up if Brett's going to be there!"

Her excitement was almost contagious. Almost.

"Yeah, sure", Maya smiled at her "We can't have you looking any less than sensational"

"Alright then, see you later Ells", Marley said to me and turned in the direction of Maya's car

"Bye", I called out to her then mouthed to Maya, "Thank you"