Chapter sixteen

Dedicated to @Baker2reader and @greatmusiclover for always reading and following up and leaving awesome comments. You guys rock :)

We got to Pins, a popular bowling alley situated a short drive away from Stinson $ Co., and we all made our way inside. I had been quiet all through the drive down here, I don't know if Rob noticed but he certainly made enough conversation for the both of us. We got in, I tried not to stare too hard at Noah and Shannon looking like the perfect match made in blonde heaven, her arm looped about his waist as they walked.

Gouging my eyes out with needles would probably feel better than looking at this all day. One time I glanced over at them and my eyes met Noah's hazel ones looking right back at me. I quickly pulled my eyes away, mortified to be caught staring.

"So I guess we should all rent some shoes first, huh?" Shannon inquired looking around at us

"Oh, shoot", Rob said stopping all of a sudden "I forgot my bowling shoes in the car. Can you give me a sec guys, I'll be right back"

We all murmured 'sure', 'alright' and 'that's okay' as Rob made his way back outside. Rob had kind of a cleanliness fetish and hated to use bowling shoes that other people had probably used.

"Well I should use this time and find the little ladies' room", Shannon spoke up "You guys go on ahead". She reached up to brush her lips against Noah's cheek then she departed in that graceful way of hers.

We were alone, but with nothing to say to each other, a heavy air of awkward silence hung between us. We both quietly walked up to the renting station to rent some bowling shoes.

"A size seven for me, please", I said to the attending teen clerk who had raised his brows at us when we both stood there saying nothing.

"And for you, sir?" he asked looking at Noah

"A size twelve and another pair, seven and a half" Noah told him

A good boyfriend knew his girl's shoe size, I thought sourly.

The attendant went away to fetch the shoes and we went back to not talking to each other and generally avoiding eye contact. Finally, the silence became terribly unbearable and I decided to say something.

"Shannon seems really great. You're one lucky guy", I managed to force out even though it pained me greatly.

Noah didn't say anything for a while and I glanced at him, wondering if he was going to take the easy way out and ignore me.

"Just so you know, I never planned for any of this to happen", Noah finally said to me. His tone was sincere and when I turned to observe him, he looked sincere as well.

I shrugged. "You never planned for it to happen, doesn't make it any less awkward Noah"

He ran a hand through his delicious blonde hair and I bit my lip trying not to remember the feel of my fingers twisted in the strands. "So... your ex huh?"

I gave him a slanted look. "Yeah, what about him?"

"Uhh... nothing", he shook his head "Forget I brought it up"

"Look, Noah I'm tired of all this tip toeing around each other, if you have something to say, just say it"

Noah was unfazed by the sharpness of my tone. "I mean, Ellenore you don't look like you're into the guy at all. You don't have to rush into anything just because he showed up at a convenient time"

My eyes narrowed in anger at him. "Oh my gosh, Noah are you trying to insinuate that this... me and Rob thing has anything to do with you? You're so full of it. I mean, what makes you think I'm not into him?"