Chapter Forty Four

Two weeks had never gone by so painfully slow. Granted, I could hardly remember details of the time I spent in my final days as an intern at Stinson & Co. That was probably because I performed all my tasks in a zombie-like state. There was no excitement, no joy. Everything that had previously made me happy was now dull and bleak. I felt like life had been snuffed out of me.

I was miserable and it showed.

I had lost a couple of pounds and Rosie and Elena had complained about my unhealthy pallor and the dark circles under my eyes.

I always brushed off their concerns with a dry and airy laugh and spent the rest of the time when I absolutely didn't have to work with people, to myself, mulling over and over in that miserable head of mine.

It was safe to say I had accepted Mr. Stinson's offer, offers like that didn't just come flying in everyday. I had to think about myself. It felt wrong deep in my heart, but my head said there was absolutely nothing wrong in securing my future.

I hadn't seen Noah since that day. He never showed up, Mr. Stinson found his resignation letter on his desk on Monday morning and the entire office shook with the tremors of Mr. Stinson barking orders into the phone, presumably at Noah, and then at any other poor sap who had to communicate with him the rest of the day.

Noah was as well as dead to me. For those two weeks, I didn't see him, I didn't hear from him and whenever my phone buzzed and I quickly peeked at it to check if just maybe, it was him.... It never was.

So when I was placing the framed photographs I had used to decorate my desk over the last three months at Stinson and Co into a cardboard box and my phone buzzed, I quickly grabbed at it and couldn't help the weary sigh that escaped my lips when I saw that it was a text from Rosie, not Noah.

Coming up to help you pack, it said See you in a few J

I let out another weary sigh, knowing that I would have to force myself to put on my happy and smiley façade for her sake.

Elena walked in just then and fixed me with a look. "Wow, this place reeks of depression mami!"

"I'm sorry", I told her, having nothing else to say.

The look on her face morphed into a sympathetic one. She didn't exactly know the gory details but she had an idea as most things that went through this office and to Mr. Stinson, went through her.

"Hey", she said. I turned to look at her and she gave me a small sad smile "You were a pain in my butt at the beginning but I will actually sort of miss you"

Warmth cut through my chest at that and I managed my first genuine smile in days. "I'll miss you too, Elena"

"Aww come here", she said as she noticed my lips trembling and waterworks begin to spring to my eyes. She rushed forward and enveloped me in a hug. Her designer perfumed wrapped around me and her long lacquered nails brushed my chiffon blouse as she rubbed my back "I'm sorry about Noah. I know you guys loved each other", she whispered "You'll be just fine, you'll see"

I nodded against the crook of her neck and choked, trying to stifle the pesky tears. Once I was sure I had gotten myself in check, I pulled away from her and gave her a small smile. "Thank you, Elena. For everything"

Life was unpredictable. Elena, who I thought had been sent from the depths of Hades to make my life a living nightmare, was the one comforting me now. And Noah... I took in a sharp breath and stopped myself. No, I wouldn't think of him. Not now. Not ever.

It was just then Rosie burst into the office and stopped in shock as she saw Elena and me in a comfortable embrace.

"Wow-ee, never thought I'd see the day", Rosie remarked with a good-natured smile as she approached.