Chapter Twenty Nine

Noah didn't show up to dinner. I was all kinds of disappointed but I didn't have time to sit and sulk over it. Elena and I had dinner with Mr Stinson and a few business associates so it was sort of a business dinner where we had to set up appointments in between the entrée and the main course. I was glad I had taken care to dress nice for dinner in a blue chiffon blouse paired with navy blue tailored pants and sleek black heels. It was mostly for Noah's benefit, if I admitted it to myself, but it suited the tone of the dinner rather nicely.

Once we were all done with dessert, Mr Stinson explained our schedules to us and Elena and I stayed back in the restaurant drawing up itineraries while everyone else retired to their rooms.

"So..." Elena started as we both stood up to leave "A few of us want to go hang at the pool. Wanna come?"

I looked at her, trying to decipher if she was seriously inviting me someplace without biting off her tongue. I expected a sarcastic laugh followed by an insult to roll out of her mouth any second but she looked completely serious.

"Umm... thanks Elena but I'm actually really tired right now", I said in a tone I hoped sounded regretful.

"Ugh... You're no fun", Elena rolled her eyes at me and stalked away, her Jimmy Choo heels clicking against the floor as she exited.

I got my purse and followed after her. A few minutes later, I was in my room getting ready for bed when my phone beeped.

A text message from Noah, my phone read.

I slid it open hurriedly.

Hey sunshine :), it said simply.

I smiled and quickly typed in a reply. Hi Noah.

Noah: Sorry I bailed on dinner. Had to drive into town and take care of some business for my dad.

Me: That's okay. I should be saying sorry, you're the one who missed out on an amazing dinner.

Noah: Bummer. What did you have?

Me: Main course was the most perfect bowl of clam chowder that ever existed.

Noah: Well, tell me all about it at the pool?

Me: The pool?

Noah: Yeah, you're coming right?

Okay, I had pretty much rejected Elena's offer because I didn't want to hang around a pool in a bathing suit with a bunch of people I hardly knew. But now Noah was going to be there...

Well, the guy opened up his house to me when I was a hysterical mess. The least I could do was meet him up at the pool.

Me: Yeah. See you there.

I tossed my phone onto my bed and dove into my suitcase to rummage around for an acceptable bathing suit. I finally settled on a black one piece with strategically placed cut outs and I slipped into a robe, pushed my feet into a pair of slippers, grabbed my phone and headed down to the pool.

I managed to get down there with only a few curious glances from the staff and a couple of guests lurking around. Once in the pool area, I was confronted by the sight of Elena in a neon pink bikini diving effortlessly into the pool with a little splash prompting cheers from the few people I recognized from work hanging around and apparently sipping on champagne. It reminded me of the pool parties I rarely attended in high school because, self conscious. I shuffled forward slowly, clutching my hands at the neck of my robe while I scanned the pool area for Noah.