Chapter Twenty Six

I was unsure exactly how and when I fell asleep but the next thing I could recall were the slanted rays of sunlight hitting my face through the curtains. I didn't even panic immediately, my brain still processing where I was and what I was doing there as I forced my sleepy eyes open.

It all started coming back to me and when I moved a little to the side, I came in contact with a deliciously warm body pressed up behind me.

My eyes flipped open immediately. My goodness, I had somehow managed to fall asleep in Noah's bed and it appeared we were... spooning.

I looked down and found that his arm was loosely draped about my side. Yup, we were spooning. And it seemed Noah didn't mind from the stirrings I felt pressed up down below.

Like the ninja I was... not, I carefully raised Noah's arm up a little and rolled away from him, not stopping until I landed on the carpeted floor. Noah grunted a little, rolled onto his front and just kept on sleeping.

I peered up at him from my position on the floor to make sure he was still deep asleep and then I crawled out of his bedroom as quickly as I could. Once out, I let out a sigh of relief and made my way to the guest bedroom where I should have spent the night instead of snuggling up with someone's boyfriend.

I found an unopened toothbrush in the bathroom cabinet and spent longer than necessary brushing my teeth and staring at my reflection in the mirror.

I had been through a lot in the last twenty four hours and I knew everything would not be exactly as it used to be, but I had to find a way for my life to return to at least a semblance of normal.

It was almost seven am and as I left the bathroom, I made a plan. It was a week day but I couldn't go to work today. I had to go back home and talk to my mom, I might not be able to look at her the same way again but I loved her and I was ready to take whatever means necessary to fix it.

Maya would come later. I couldn't believe I had actually said those words to her and I know they had stung deep by the look on her face. We had argued before but nothing that had actually gone this deep; I just hoped she would forgive me.

And Noah.

I let out a little sigh at the thought of him. He was all I needed last night and he really came through for me. He was there for me even when I didn't deserve it. His words, so simple yet earnest had struck a chord within me, and just like that, it was like a light bulb had gone on inside of me. I was in love with him, I guess I had always been in love with him but I never actually wanted to believe it.

Sure it sucked, because he basically admitted to me he was going to marry Shannon and they would all live happily ever after. But I figured I could live with it, no matter how bad it hurt, as long as I got to be friends with him. Maybe, one day when I couldn't take it anymore, I would get over him.

I walked out of the guest bedroom, meaning to check if Noah had woken up but when I got to the door, I heard the sound of running water coming from within. Noah was probably in the shower, getting ready for work.

I tried to pretend like the image that popped into my head didn't get me all hot and bothered.

I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen, coming up with the bright idea that I would make Noah some breakfast to thank him for getting me through last night.

I rifled through his fridge and cabinets, which were actually surprisingly well stocked for a twenty two year old dude living on his own. I found some fresh blueberries and decided on blueberry pancakes.

About fifteen minutes later, Noah walked into the kitchen looking terribly handsome and clean cut in an impeccable navy blue suit. I tried not to drool at the sight of him. I noticed the way his hazel eyes raked over me but it was just for a second, and then, it was gone.

"Something smells great", he grinned up at me and pulled up a stool to where I was pouring coffee on the kitchen island.

I gave him a shy kind of smile as I slid him a plate of fresh blueberry pancakes topped with whipped cream. "Consider this my thank you"

"And you're welcome", he cut into the stack of pancakes with a fork and closed his eyes after taking a bite, savouring it "Mmm... I need to let you sleep over all the time just so you would make me this breakfast every morning"

I refused to let the weight of his words sink in. I brushed it off by asking him a question instead. "So... what's with the suit?" I set down a cup of coffee next to him and nursed my cup in my hands "You look mighty dapper"

"I have a meeting today. Everything at the office has to be organized before our trip to Aspen over the weekend", Noah informed me through a mouthful of pancakes.

"You're coming too?" I asked him. I don't know why that had never occurred to me.

"Yeah. He's receiving an award... I'm his son", Noah quirked a brow at me

"Mmm", I nodded and took a sip of coffee out of the steaming mug. I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about that now I had come to terms with my feelings for him, hopefully I wouldn't let the euphoria of the trip get to me and do something stupid.

"I take it you're not coming to work today?" Noah said to me, more a statement than a question.

"Yeah", I shook my head "I plan on calling your dad and letting him know. I need a day... just to sort stuff out with my mom"

Noah finished off his pancakes with relish and stood up to carry his empty plate and mug to the sink. "Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll talk to him if you want"

I smiled as a form of silent thanks. "Noah..."

"Yeah?"

"Thank you", I said leaning against the kitchen island and watching his back as he rinsed out his mug.

He smirked and looked back at me. "I thought that was the pancakes' job"

"I'm serious", I walked up a bit closer to him "You didn't have to deal with me while I was having a break down but you did anyway"

"Hey", he searched my eyes "That's what friends do"

"About that", I folded my arms over my chest suddenly feeling vulnerable "I'm glad you were honest with me"

Noah's brows furrowed. "I'm not quite sure I understand..."

"I mean, we're both in relationships", I gestured at him "You're really serious with Shannon. Some stuff has gone down between us but I guess we can put that all behind us now. It isn't fair to waste someone's time when you're in love with someone else"

His eyes which had been previously boring into mine flickered down to the floor at my words.

"I guess not", he said

My throat suddenly felt choked up but I cleared it awkwardly and took a deep breath. "Umm... you should probably get going or you'll be late", I walked past him and patted his shoulder as I did "I just need to get dressed real quick and I'll be out of your hair in a moment"

"You can stay as long as you like", he reached into his pocket and pulled out a set of keys. My eyes were transfixed on the ripple of his shoulders through the finely tailored suit at the action. He walked toward me and pressed one key into my open palm "Lock up whenever you're ready to leave"

I looked down at the key in my hand and stared back up at him. "You trust me with your key?"

His upper lip curled in amusement. "Yes", he said simply then he glanced at his watch "I really need to go now, Ellie. Thanks so much for breakfast"

He looked at me like he would have liked to do something more but the conversation we just had had set down a kind of a boundary between us.

I just nodded and walked him out of his apartment, fighting against the urge to thread my fingers through his like I had done last night. I watched, leaning against the door jamb as he drove away in his Mustang and until he was out of sight.

A/N: Hi guys :). Sorry for the short chapter but it's a filler. Don't forget to vote, comment and share! Thanks to all those who have kept reading, it means a lot to me. Xoxoxo.