Chapter Twenty One

Many thanks to @greatmusiclover for the new cover :-). She is seriously awesome. Enjoy the chapter guys!

The electronic whirring noise of the copier was probably the only sound in the entire Stinson & Co building. I checked my watch tiredly. It was 9:34 pm and I was deadbeat but Mr Stinson needed these copies of a highly classified business proposal on his desk by 6 am tomorrow and I didn't want to take any chances.

The hum drum routine of work was really getting to me, but I figured I preferred it that way. I remembered the girl who not so long ago wanted something more exciting in her life but quite honestly, I was so over it now. My life needed control, orderliness. It needed a pattern. Without that, I just felt so lost.

Like how I felt at the thought of Noah. Was I always going to feel like my heart was going to burst out of my chest whenever he came near and I had a whiff of his Tom Ford Cypress cologne (yes I was so obsessed I found out the name of his cologne)? It was pathetic. And it wasn't exciting. It wasn't a whirlwind romance. It was just sad.

Sad, boring Ellie.

Because a whirlwind romance was never going to happen to me. And I was delusional even just thinking about it.

The last copy finally sputtered out of the machine and I made to arrange them, so I could secure them in Mr Stinson's office and get the hell out of this building. Apart from security, I was probably the only one left here.

And it was seriously creepy.

My thoughts were interrupted by a shrill ring piercing the eerie silence. It wasn't my phone. My phone was on vibrate. I rummaged through my bag to make sure.

Yup, it was on vibrate.

That meant someone else was in this building, and by the sound of that ring, in close proximity. This was giving me bad vibes; I grabbed all the folders I had arranged and made to leave the copy room when I saw the door knob slowly turn.

Oh my gosh.

This was like a scene out of all those bad horror movies on TV.

"Who's there?" I called out with a shaky voice.

No answer. The door knob just kept turning.

Shit. Goose bumps prickled all over my skin. What if it was a burglar? Or chances were I had a stalker that finally caught up to me (far-fetched I know but possible).

I picked up the stack of folders; surely they were heavy enough that whacking whoever was behind that door would knock him or her out cold. Right?

The door opened slowly and I raised my weapon above my head, my hands were shaking until the perpetrator stepped in and my eyes met hazel.

"Noah?" I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding

"Woah, easy there", he gave me an amused smirk and I realized I was still holding the stack of folders above my head. I lowered my arms a bit embarrassed and drank in the sight of him, he looked absolutely gorgeous.

I mean, he was always gorgeous but today he looked like perfection, I just wanted to run my hands through his neat blonde mane and rough it up a little.

"Noah, what are you doing here? It's pretty late", I finally gathered enough of my wits to speak again

"I'm sorry if I frightened you. I ... I just needed to tell you something and I couldn't wait any longer", he said, taking a few steps towards me

"What?" I said breathily. The oxygen in this place was suddenly in short supply.

"I broke up with Shannon", he said, his eyes dead serious.