Chapter seven

I woke up to the sound of loud knocking at my door the next morning. I groggily opened one eye, and then the other wishing the knocking would stop. It didn't.

"Ellie, open up", a voice said from behind the door. It was my mom's voice. I slowly sat up from bed, glancing at my bedside clock as I did. What did she want with me at 8? She knew I liked to sleep in on Saturdays. I went to the door and pulled it open to see my mom standing there with a weird expression on her face.

"Hi, honey. Sleep well?" she gave me a smile that was way too bright for the time of the day

I could only manage a slow nod. I had fallen asleep almost immediately and my night had been haunted with thoughts of him, but she didn't need to know that.

"Well come to the kitchen. Someone wants to see you", she gave me that weird look again and disappeared down the stairs before I had the thought process to ask her who. It had to be Maya, I thought. I hadn't called her to let her know how the night went. She must have been dying with curiosity.

I hustled down the stairs and made my way to the kitchen. I paused as I neared the entrance. Was that pine trees I smelt? And then I heard his laugh, my eyes adjusting to the sight of Noah in a sleeveless sports shirt, sipping coffee casually and laughing with my mom at the kitchen counter.

What the... His head started turning and I immediately bolted back up the stairs, hoping he had not seen me in my totally unattractive morning look. I must have set a world record because I brushed my teeth, washed my face, brushed my hair and changed into a sightlier t shirt and shorts than my ratty PJs in less than three minutes and I came back downstairs.

I stepped into the kitchen and Noah's gaze scanned me from top to bottom with an amused smirk on his face. Yes, he had indeed seen me. I pretended that didn't bother me and sauntered up to him, ready to ask him why the hell he was having coffee at my house.

I settled for a nicer, "Noah, what are you doing here?" for the sake of my mom. I tried not to grit my teeth.

"Good morning to you too, sunshine"

I rolled my eyes at him and he chuckled. "Well on my way back from the gym I saw you left your bag in my car from yesterday. I tried calling but your phone was also in your bag"

He held it up and I felt my face heat up. I was in such a hurry to get out of his car; I'd left my bag and didn't even notice, thinking the worst of him for showing up at my house when he was only being nice.

I came forward and took it. "Thank you", I said a bit sheepishly. He gave me a smile that did dangerous things to me. He was sporting a 5 o clock scruff and messy hair, his toned physique the more obvious in his sleeveless shirt. He looked downright sexy.

"Ellie, you didn't tell me you were friends with Mr Stinson's son", my mom said looking at me with a twinkle in her eye.

Oh no. She had better not get any ideas.

I made my way to the coffee maker and poured myself a mug. "Uh... It must have slipped my mind". I tried not to look at Noah because I knew he would be smirking at me.

Just then, Trent and Karen burst into the kitchen, Karen chasing Trent and Trent laughing in a way that was meant to torment her.

"Hey hey hey!" my mom grabbed hold of Trent after he had run around the kitchen counter and stopped him. Karen stopped near me.

"No running in the kitchen! Or anywhere inside the house for that matter", she scolded

"Trent stole my Elsa doll!" Karen cried, pointing her little accusing finger at him.