Chapter thirteen

It was Monday. I was back at work. I was determined to avoid Noah. It was physically and mentally draining. Anytime Mr Stinson needed something sent out, I jumped at the opportunity dreading hanging around at my desk just waiting for the time when Noah would eventually wander in. Elena gave me curious looks, probably wondering what the reason was for my weirdness but not actually saying anything because she was glad not to be walking around doing errands. I had been to quite a number of the floors today (excluding Noah's) and right now, I was on the ground floor catching up with Rosie at her receptionist's desk.

I had asked her how her weekend was, and in reply she flashed me the diamond engagement ring on her left hand with a barely contained squeal. Her boyfriend of about a year had popped the question on Saturday when they were having dinner. She was the definition of happiness and radiance, and while we discussed wedding destinations and colour palettes, I couldn't help but long for that kind of radiance she got from being in love even though I was so happy for her.

"So we haven't picked a date yet but I'm thinking December, we'd both be less busy then and we could also have this gorgeous winter wedding"

"A winter wedding? That sounds... cold"

Rosie laughed. "Yeah, my mom thinks I'm crazy but I have a vision. Mostly everything will be indoors and then photos can be taken with a gorgeous backdrop of snow. I would have shown you the pictures but I mailed the wedding catalogues to my mom"

"That's okay. I'm sure it will be stunning", I assured her with a smile

"Well, enough about me. What about you? How did your weekend go?" Rosie asked me

"Uhh", I shrugged, thinking back on my eventful weekend "It was fine, I guess"

"I heard you were down with a stomach bug or something, hope you're feeling better now"

Oh that. Yeah, that was my excuse when I had called in sick on Friday.

"Yeah, much better. It's like it never even happened"

"Oh, good", Rosie looked pleased at that "Noah was looking around for you. I think he wanted to check up on you"

At the sound of Noah's name, the butterflies in my stomach leapt to life. I leaned forward on her desk.

"Really? What did he say?"

"Uh... he just asked if I had seen you come in"

"What did you tell him? Do you know where he is now?" I hoped Rosie wouldn't detect the edge my voice had taken but she did, narrowing her eyes at me curiously.

"Wait a second, is there something I'm missing here?"

When I gave her a puzzled look, she added, "Between you and Noah?"

"Oh no", I gave an airy laugh "We're just friends"

"Good. 'Cause he has a girlfriend you know"

Oh, Rosie. If I had just spoken to her about my feelings for Noah before, maybe I could have avoided this entire heart ache. Wait, if Rosie knew that meant Elena had probably known too. And she had egged me on and made me think he wanted me. Ughh.

My phone rang just then interrupting my train on thoughts. I pulled it out and saw it was Mr Stinson calling and I immediately began feeling guilty and unprofessional, I had been hanging with Rosie for too long.

"Hello, Mr Stinson", I answered the call

"Ellie, I've been trying to reach your desk phone but you're not at your desk"

"Yes I'm sorry, I went to the ground floor to pick up your delivery at reception and I got a little sidetracked"

"That's fine", he said absent mindedly, I could imagine him now pacing the length of his office while talking to me on speaker phone "The maintenance guys are still working on the copier in my office and I need copies of the proposal documents for my next meeting in about ten minutes"