Chapter Forty Three

I moved back home that evening. It was Sunday after all, and if I wanted to make my not so triumphant return back to work, it would have to be by Monday.

I was so busy wondering what Mr Stinson would have to say about my long absence, I hardly noticed the flashy car parked in our driveway as I hoisted my carry-on bag up the front steps and into the house. Immediately I came through the front doors, I spotted Walden, Trent and Ashley in the foyer apparently getting ready to head out.

The air was sucked out of me as both Trent and Karen rushed and collided with me, grabbing me in a hug.

"Ellie, you're back!" Karen yelled excitedly

"Yes squirt", I managed to get out in a muffled voice. I adjusted to my full height as Trent grabbed my bag from me.

"Good to have you back, Ells", Trent said "Karen was such a pain in the B-U-T-T without you here", he rolled his eyes at her and Karen stuck out her tongue at him in return.

"I know how to spell butt, bird brain", she clapped back at him.

I turned back to Walden with a bemused smile on my face. "You guys are heading out?"

"Yes I thought I'd treat them out to some ice cream", Walden said to me, giving me a welcoming side hug as he spoke "Ahh... your mother is in the living room with a... special guest. They are actually in there expecting your arrival"

I furrowed my brows at him as one thought came to mind. "Noah?" I asked him. But why the heck would Noah show up twice in one day?

Walden replied with a swift shake of his head. "The other Stinson"

I felt my stomach abruptly drop to the floor.

WTF.

What the heck was Mr. Stinson doing at my house? And they were expecting me? A thousand possible worst case scenarios flashed through my head all at once. Mr. Stinson telling me I had been fired and would never work in the city again. Mr. Stinson calling me a tramp for seducing his son and trying to break up his successful relationship. Mr. Stinson calling me out on my terrible work ethic for abandoning my job and penning down a strongly worded letter to my college telling them all about my shortcomings.

I hadn't even realized I was still standing in the foyer with mouth hanging open until I heard the front door close behind me, alerting me to the fact that Walden must have already left with Trent and Karen while I gaped like a fish out of water.

Slowly, I shuffled towards the living room, dreading every step I took to what was quite possibly the end.

I mean, could this day get any worse.

I could hear the low murmur of their voices trickling in as I lurked around at the entrance. Mustering my wits, I took a deep breath and stepped forward and into view.

I could see my mother and Mr. Stinson engrossed in deep conversation, my mother's brows were as furrowed as they could go and Mr Stinson had a frighteningly serious look on his face.

They both heard me approach and looked up at the same time. I gulped and plastered what I hoped was a convincing smile on my face as I approached them.

"H...Hey", I cleared my throat and started again "Hello Mr. Stinson, what a surprise to see you here"

"Miss Wyatt", he nodded at me graciously "A pleasant surprise, I hope. I was just telling your mother how lovely her home is. Please do have a seat"

I sat down next to my mother on the sofa next to the one Mr. Stinson was currently occupying. His foot was crossed over his other knee in a regal manner as he relaxed into the chair, watching me silently. Watson and my mom were very much comfortable, but Mr Stinson sitting there looking like he reeked of wealth put the living room décor to shame.