Chapter 39

Ren was running

Ren was running.

He was flying through the cold forest, the air whipping across his face, cutting his skin, and leaving his eyes dry. He was staring ahead, eyes wide open even though they were screaming with pain. The pain soothed the deep disgust inside his stomach that was tumbling over and over. The pain felt good. It was an answer that he'd been praying for for years and it had finally come to him.

His lungs couldn't hold anymore air. He was gasping, but the breaths weren't holding. They were disappearing just like the days, months, and years had. He didn't know how he'd ended up here. Well, he knew how he ended up in the forest. What he didn't know was how everything had come to this.

The years of adolescence were long gone. He was a grown man, but he didn't feel like one. He felt like a boy.

There were no tears this time. He was gliding through the forest, dodging fallen trees, and chasing after a dream that never existed in the first place. Everything had been a lie. The things he'd yearned for were always mist floating in the sky.

How many nights had the forest called for him? He knew it was too many. And then when he'd answered, when he'd followed the calling to the mountain, things had gone even further down hill.

His lungs were burning and there was a deep ache in his side.

That's when he stopped. He couldn't go any further.

He was somewhere in the middle of the forest. Not close to his house, not the city, and not the Mantels'. He was nowhere.

He stood there. The sun was high in the sun, beating down on him. Sweat beaded on his face and soaked the back of his shirt. His chest heaved while the birds tweeted back at him.

Sunbeams set the forest on fire. The trees were still intimidating, but they were no longer transformed by the dark shadows. Ren reached out to the one closet to him. The moment his hand touched the hard bark he was grounded. The tears that wet his eyes dried and the quaking in his stomach settled.

He forced himself to breathe evenly.

This was it. This was the place he was going to die.

He fell to his knees.

He didn't care anymore. His mom was going to be fine. She could make it on her own without him. He was just a burden that was making her life harder.

All of this had been for her anyway. If he didn't have her, he would have let himself be murdered by the killer in the forest or he would have let the Hunters shoot him.

The soil soaked his pants. The coldness hit his knees. His eyes were crossed as he stared ahead.

The buzzing slowly started at the center of his chest. It materialized out of nothing and he briefly wondered where it had come from. That was one other thing that he hadn't found the answer to. The thing within him seemed to come out of nowhere, but he was starting to think that it had just been him all along.