Chapter 38

Margret slammed the front door closed

Ren opened his mouth—not really sure what he was planning on saying—but before he could get one word out, she held up her hand. She shook her head.

"Stop." She took a deep breath. She closed her eyes as she did and when she opened her eyes, there was something unsteady about them that made Ren sick to his stomach.

This wasn't his mom. Well, this wasn't a side of his mom that he'd ever seen before. It was like someone had stripped everything motherly about her away, leaving just a woman who seemed like she was out for murder.

Ren knew that he wasn't a good son. If he was a good son, he wouldn't have found out about being a witch and he would have never met the Mantels. He wouldn't be suffering from this urge to hurt people and he would have kept his mom safe.

The Hunter Society wouldn't know his name and he wouldn't have fucking made a contract with Ashton.

But he always thought he could try harder. He was doing his best and he thought that would make up for some of the things he fucked up.

That wasn't the case though. Not at all.

"I want to make myself clear," she said slowly. She enunciated each word so that he couldn't possibly miss them. "I don't give a damn about the Mantels. I care about you, okay?"

Ren's hands were shaking. He nodded.

"Good." She studied his face.

Finally, he saw some resemblance of his mom there.

"Come here." She beckoned him with a hand.

He was hesitant, afraid of the person he'd seen, but it was his mom commanding him now. He let her pull him into her arms and cradle his head like he was a small child. He felt like one. He felt like he was only a foot tall and she was consoling him after he'd had a nightmare. He remembered one night in particular when a strong storm had brung lightning and rolling thunder to the small town. She'd cradled him just like she was now as he cried softly into her chest.

She pressed her hand to the back of his head. Her fingers carded through his hair.

"How long have you known?"

His heart dropped.

"Not long." His throat was dry.

He didn't expect for him to reveal that he knew about that like this. Perhaps he was wishing too much for a better time because if he was being honest with himself, nothing ever went his way. And nothing ever turned out for the better.

She nodded. She pulled away and he was shocked to find tears in her eyes.

His throat constricted even harder.

"Were you going to tell me?" He clenched his fists by his sides.

She looked away. "No."

He was expecting that. He just didn't know that it was going to hurt so much.