Chapter 43

They were doing it again

They were doing it again. They were following people and they didn't have a clue what they were doing. Well, Ren at least didn't know what the hell he was doing. Maybe Ashton had some plan made up in his mind—he seemed to be always coming up with a solution to their problems like he'd seen the future or something.

They'd fallen behind Regan and Darrien considerably because of their—

He wasn't sure what he would call it. It didn't feel like an argument. But now that he thought about it, their arguments had never really felt like fighting. He always got worked up though they never raised their voices.

Then he remembered the first time they met.

That had been a fight. He'd bit Ashton. That had been the first time he'd tasted blood. Vampire blood at that.

As they walked the path Regan and Darrien had taken, Ren thought heavily about what the two of them could possibly up to. He was sure that it was something bad. His gut was screaming at him that it was worse than he thought.

The brush was wet. He hadn't noticed that everything was covered in a light dew. It must have rained that morning.

Ren was well aware of Ashton. Too much so at that moment. His body was locked up tight as he swear he felt Ashton's eyes wandering over him. He fought the crawling feeling that was spreading across his back and over his shoulders. The feeling felt like Ashton was running his fingers across his naked skin. Chills went down his spine, but he refused to shiver.

The forest was quiet. The crunching of leaves and brush beneath their feet was loud in his ears.

A burning started in his chest. He was floored by it, stumbling over his feet as it struck him in the sternum. His eyes widened in shock, hand flying to his chest. The heat bloomed until he felt it rising in his neck and that's where it stopped. His gut felt some of it. The thing thrashed. It was going crazy, but it wasn't hurt. This heat didn't hurt. It was just there, burning, and it was uncomfortable.

"Ren?"

Ashton grabbed him by the shoulder. The touch flames the fire within him and he choked. He gasped for air was the heat rose higher, turning his head into goo.

He shook his head. "I'm fine. Just..."

He didn't get to finish what he was going to say because that's when he felt the most intense onslaught of dark emotion he'd ever felt. It was more intense than the mob at school had felt even though there had to be more people there at the time. Though he felt that there were less people in the area their hatred was so strong that it was like there were thousands of people crowding up on him.

He was surprised when Ashton wrapped his arm around him. He would have pushed him away if his touch didn't actually relieve some of the pressure that was building in his head. He didn't know if the heat was because of all the swelling emotions he was picking up or if it had to do with something else. It had never happened before and he didn't know why it would be happening now.