Chapter 28

"How long are you going to stare at my neck like a starving dog?"

Ren looked away from Ashton's neck. He'd been focused on a specific spot where he wanted to sink his fangs in so deep that Ashton would scream. In a progression of just a few seconds, he had a plan mapped out in his head of just how he'd do it.

He would shove Ashton down to the ground, press their bodies together, and take what he wanted. He didn't know he wanted to hold Ashton down by the neck and drink to his fill until then. He was mesmerized by the possibilities though he couldn't bring himself to actually do it.

The dark thing inside of him was begging to make his fantasies come true. The dark thoughts that plagued his mind were more than just side affects of what the dark thing was doing to him. Those were his actual thoughts. He was that fucked up.

He turned his head away. His face was flushed, burning from the tips of his ears to his cheeks and then down to his chest.

But he wasn't alone. He'd seen a glimpse of Ashton's face. There was a light dusting of pink on his white cheeks that hadn't been there before. Ren had done that to him. It was a small crack in the otherwise impenetrable wall, but it was enough to give Ren the idea that it was possible to get underneath Ashton's skin.

"What are here for?" He decided that it was best to ignore Ashton's remarks about him staring.

Ashton moved away from the bed. Even so, Ren couldn't get rid of the memory of his body heat.

"We haven't got much of a lead in this investigation. We need to find something or else we're not going to get anywhere."

At least he was starting to say 'we'. Ren considered it progress. Slow progress, but progress none-the-less.

He hadn't moved back from the bed. He was just standing there. Ren didn't want to be the one to make the first move. He wasn't exactly content in being in this uncomfortable position for much longer, but he didn't know how to get out of it.

He flexed his fingers, his thoughts racing a hundred miles a minute. They were going back and forth between what he should do and what he shouldn't so he looked less like an idiot. In the end, he came up with nothing and he was left with no other thought other than that he was going to fuck this up.

He rolled onto his side. He sat up, facing the wall, so that he didn't have to see Ashton. It wasn't enough to pretend that he wasn't there. He knew that Ashton was behind him, watching him with that honey eyes that seemed to know everything.

They didn't. He didn't know half of the shit that Ren had gone through. Yet, his body was reacting like Ashton was the biggest threat in the world.

"And?"

It felt like they were going in circles. Well, Ren felt like he was going in circles. He was putting up a facade. He wasn't calm, but he was trying to mask it. The answer felt foreign. It had slipped off his lips though he didn't feel it. Someone else was talking. The words were just air that had no meaning to them.