Chapter 23

It hadn't slipped Ren's mind that Ashton was still seriously going through a heavy hunger

It hadn't slipped Ren's mind that Ashton was still seriously going through a heavy hunger. If it wasn't Ashton's red eyes or the unmistakable fangs peeking out from his top lip every so often, it was the rigidness in his shoulders and the stiff way he was walking. His graceful saunter was now replaced with a walk that looked like he had a finger up his ass.

Ren licked his own fangs, trying to get the sweet taste out of his mouth. It wasn't exactly working. While he swallowed over and over, he was still getting hints of Ashton's blood. His heart had settled some and so had his dick, but the lingering arousal still made his gums throb for what he could not have.

He furrowed his brows as he swiped his thumb over his bottom lip. He thought about how Ashton's mother had taken Ren's presence. Or how she hadn't taken it. Not well, anyway. He wondered if that had anything to do with Ashton not having eaten.

As if struck, he quickly searched his pockets. He thought he had a vial of blood on him—one that he might have been saving to sell—but he came up empty.

Then he remembered that he'd left his bag at school so that he wouldn't have to carry it around for the rest of the day. He couldn't remember if he'd left any there, but that didn't matter if he didn't have it now.

By the obvious signs of tension painted on Ashton's body, it was going to be sooner rather than later when he would burst. He'd almost been ready to rip out Darrien's throat and he'd been the only human around them. If Ashton got around a whole group of humans, he might not be able to hold himself back. Attacking in front of half the town was a sure way of getting them locked up.

He looked around.

They were alone.

He slowly turned to look behind him. There was nothing but miles of empty road. They were far away from the school. It looked like they were heading nowhere even though they were taking the long way around to the back of the city hall.

A thought came to him.

He'd tasted Ashton's blood. And Ashton needed to feed...

A shiver went through him. He couldn't distinguish whether that was because of disgust, hatred, or another feeling.

It was fair. In a way. And it would solve the really big problem they were facing right now.

That Ashton was facing anyway. It really didn't matter who was affected the most at the moment. The problem was that he needed to get some fucking blood in his system before he starting ripping people's heads off and slurping their blood down like a slushy.

He inhaled through his nose and looked up toward the sky. It was quiet. There was the rustle of the wind breezing through the trees and their feet making soft sounds on the gravel road. The sky was a clear gray—not a cloud in sight. The sun was gone as well.

It was like a painting. Like someone had smeared a thick coat of gray paint across the sky and hadn't bothered to do anything else with it.

The dark branches reached out over the gravel road, interlocking with the trees that were on the opposite side. Ren wished he could take a picture. Not because he wanted to remember this moment, but because he wanted to capture just this second of beauty and calmness.