Chapter 56

Chapter 56

Ren gaped.

The strange new person walked toward him. He couldn't get back fast enough. He almost tripped over his feet as he tried to get away, but they were upon him in a flash. They were as fast as a vampire, though his gut was telling him this person wasn't a vampire. They were something very different.

The creepy and almost crooked grin that stretched across their face as they reached out toward him. Their hand was thin, pale, and when he looked down at it he thought he might be able to see veins. But there were no veins. Their skin was almost translucent.

His gag reflex almost kicked in. He could feel the building pressure and he turned away before he actually became sick.

"Oh, come on now. I'm not going to try anything," they said. Ren still couldn't tell their gender—if they had one at all either. But he did know that they were no good.

He covered his mouth with his arm as if that would appease the disgust roiling in his stomach. He gave his best threatening face at the person. Though, he didn't know how convincing it was when he was once again on the verge of throwing up.

It was their skin—or everything about them that made his hunger curl up in the corner. Whatever they were, they were almost like vampire repellent.

They opened their arms wide and the look on their face made it seem like they expected Ren to run into their arms. Their frown deepened and they tilted their head. Their curly coppery hair fell like a curtain, sloping over their shoulder.

"This might come as a shock, but I'm someone you can trust." They replaced their frown with a dazzling smile full of teeth. They created closer. "I know very well what you're going through. I know how it feels."

Ren stepped over the body of a dead Hunter. He saw the Hunter's disposed weapon—a long machete looking sword. He grabbed it and pointed the tip toward the stalking person.

The thing had once again shriveled up inside of him. Of course when he needed the fucking thing, it was nowhere to be found. The new person had repelled the thing as well.

They sighed. "I guess it should be expected that you're somewhat weary of me."

He looked around and raised a brow. "Though, I see that you've already attracted a lot of trouble. Haven't you?"

Ren stared only at them. He couldn't convince himself to look anywhere else. He just felt that if he looked away for just even a second, they would do something.

They stopped, peered at him like they were looking at a small and timid animal. He narrowed his eyes. While he tried to come off as threatening, he didn't feel it. He was should they saw right through it too.

They placed their hand on their chest. "I'm Samuel. We haven't met and you don't know me, but I know you very well, Ren."

Samuel's voice softened. The eery sound make the hairs on the back of Ren's neck stand up. Samuel took a step forward and this time, Ren didn't move.

"You know what I am?" His throat was dry. As he said the words, he felt like barbed wire was coming up as well.

Samuel shook his head. "Of course I know what you are. I know who you are, your past, your future, and what you're capable of."

Before Ren knew it, Samuel was upon him, standing over him. He placed his hand on the side of Ren's neck and held him still like he thought he was going to run away. Ren's fangs popped out. He was still disgusted, but he was also afraid. He was alert and ready to attack if he needed to.