Chapter 55

Chapter 55

Ren's heart lodged in his throat. He stumbled through the front door, racing against time as his head swirled with all the worst things that could happen at that exact moment. He knew it was too late. The Hunters were here and all the protecting he thought he'd been doing was nothing but an evasion from the real problem.

The Hunters swarmed the area like ants. As Ren ran to the bottom of the stairs, almost falling flat on his face as he skipped the last step and jumped on the ground, he saw Cipher at the forefront of the group. Behind him were the Hunters that had almost killed Ren and Ashton—Malcolm, Kenny, and Remy. And behind them were so many faces that he didn't recognize, but he knew they hated him as much as the rest of them.

They weren't going to be nice this time. They were here to kill him. To kill them all.

"Can I help you with something?" Margret stood firm with her hands on her hips.

Cipher came to a slow stop. He raised his left hand, palm open, and the Hunters behind him stopped as well.

Mr. and Mrs. Mantel stood just a few feet in front of Ren. They were watching the scene. Mrs. Mantel had a look of disgust on her face which Ren was glad wasn't directed at him. Mr. Mantel just stared. Ren couldn't tell at all what he was thinking about.

Ren's feet were glued to where he was. He looked helplessly at the back of Margret's head. He was afraid that any sudden movement would break Cipher's calmness.

Cipher looked Margret up and down. "Margret Cornelli?"

She didn't answer at first. She stared back at him and while Ren couldn't see her face, he just knew that she was giving him some sort of attitude. It was just how she was. Even faced with danger, she couldn't be intimidated.

"So you know who I am. That still doesn't tell me what you want."

He gave a soft snort of disbelief. "I have business with your son and his friend, Ashton Mantel."

We aren't friends.

He would have rolled his eyes if he wasn't so worried. Who in their right mind saw the two of them and thought they were friends? They might have been on the same side right now, but they weren't even that close to being allies.

He didn't know if there was a word for what they were.

Mr. Mantel took a couple quick strides toward Cipher.

"You don't have any kind of business with my son."

Margret stopped him with an outstretched arm. He pushed the arm out of his way, but he didn't step any further.

Ren held a baited breath.

A glint in Cipher's eyes told him that the man wasn't at all worried about his life. He was confident that he had them all where he wanted them. The small smirk that curled over his mouth was sickening.

"Renin Mantel. It's nice to finally meet you. I've heard many things about the Mantel family." He gave a brief shake of his head. "Though I'm sad to know that the great lineage has dwindled to a shack in the middle of nowhere."

Mantel glowered.

Cipher's gaze broke from them.

They landed on Ren.

"Ah. Just the filthy vampire we were looking for."

Ren's blood couldn't have gone any colder.

"Fucks sake, Ren!"