Chapter 26

Ren didn't wait for anything when the last bell rang

Ren didn't wait for anything when the last bell rang. He bolted out of his seat and raced out the back entrance of the school as fast as he could. The last hour of school had been full of tension and anxiety. He hadn't been able to focus on anything—though neither had anyone else. They were all talking about the riot that had broken out around the school. There was talk now that it wasn't just here. There were outbreaks everywhere.

He shoved the backdoor open. He froze when he wasn't greeted by an empty lot. Standing with one foot on the curb was Regan. He had a cigarette between his lips, unlit, and he was snapping a lighter open and close. He raised a brow when Ren stumbled out the door.

"Is Darrien with you?"

Ren panted. "What? No."

Regan looked him up and down. "Hm."

Ren looked around. He didn't trust Regan to be alone. Sam and Ollie were probably hiding around the corner, waiting for Regan to signal to them that it was go time to beat Ren up again. They'd done it before. He highly doubted they had become better people in the short five years.

"Have you heard about what they've been saying?" He plucked the cigarette out of his mouth. He put it away in his pocket with the lighter.

Ren wondered if it was all for show to make him threatened. It was having the opposite affect. He couldn't think Regan seriously when he was trying to be high and mighty. It just it obvious that he needed back up to do anything.

"Vampires aren't welcome here anymore. Your disgusting kind is going to be cut out of this town like the parasites you are."

The sickness came back. Ren ground his teeth. Buried under his fear was anger and rage. It was red hot, begging for a chance to show who Regan was messing with.

Regan stepped up onto the small sidewalk that wrapped around the building. Ren held his ground. His eyes flickered to the forest, to the path that he took everyday. As much as he wanted to break out into a full on sprint, he couldn't get his legs to move. He was standing in cement, slowly sinking down. There was no connection to his legs from his brain. He was trapped in his shell of a body as Regan came closer.

Regan glared up at Ren. He was shorter, smaller, and it was a wonder how there could be so much anger trapped in such a tiny body.

"Remember what I did to you?" A smirk stretched across his face.

Ren's stomach lurched.

Regan frowned. "I should do it again. Are you still the same pussy? Are you going to fight back or are you going to curl into a ball like last time?"

He spat on the ground. The wad of spit landed on Ren's shoe. He looked down. He almost gagged.

He turned his face away, eyes staring at the still full parking lot. The chants were still going on. He hadn't been able to zone out of that. It was becoming too much all at once again. His heart was pounding in his chest. His throat was restricting and his fingers were twitching.