Chapter 9

Darrien's expression changed

Darrien's expression changed. He was deep in thought, eyes lowered to the floor with his brows drawn together. That face. It was the same one Mantel had worn in the forest. There was no connection. It didn't mean anything, but the twin looks sent Ren hurdling to last night.

He'd finally put it to the back of his mind and it was back again like it never left in the first place. She was at the forefront with her ripped neck and her horror-struck expression which would be forever frozen in time. Even when she was dead she was in pain, living in an endless nightmare. They should have called the police. They shouldn't have left her there to rot without her family knowing where she'd gone or what had happened to her.

The worst of it all was the guilt of knowing her killer was still out there.

He no longer cared how he looked. He didn't know why he wanted to put up a front in front of Darrien anyway. It wasn't like he cared what he thought about him.

Ren let out a groan as he buried his face in his hands.

He was starting to understand where his mind was wandering. Darrien was attractive, but Ren had never actually wanted to be with someone. Not that that was what this was. Thinking someone was good looking didn't mean he wanted anything other than to goggle at them.

That's the one thing he never thought about and something he never thought he would. Life was hard enough without wishing he could share it with someone.

His attention was drawn back to Darrien. He leaned over Ren's desk. Ren waited for him to say something.

His eyes unintentionally fell to Darrien's mouth and he hated himself all the more for it. It was nothing he could ignore and not something he could take back. He was the one that was supposed to have no emotion yet it was the one thing that held him back from the rest.

"Are you—" He was waiting for it. He didn't want it to be true. He didn't want to be right, but he already knew what Darrien was going to ask. It was frustrating. Maddening. "Are you a—"

Darrien pressed his lips into a hard thin line. The words didn't come out. He tried again, opened his mouth, and he closed it once more. Ren wanted to tell him to spit it out, to just get it over with so he didn't have to keep going through the pain.

He'd never had anyone ask him outright. Everyone already knew what he was and he was surprised no one had filled this kid in. He was surprised that wasn't the first thing out of their mouths since that was the reason why they liked to stare at him all the time.

And Darrien had to be messing with him. If he had been here before, it was quite fucking obvious that Ren was still a vampire. It wasn't something people usually forgot.

People's phobia of him only got worse with age. He started to look like a grown vampire every passing day. He wasn't easily hidden anymore.

He glared at Darrien, pulling his hands away from his face. "Am I a vampire?"