Chapter 19

Ren and Ashton shared a look

Ren stepped away from the door. His heart was back up in his throat. He clenched and unclenched his hands as Ashton opened the door.

"What?"

Ren could just see a hint of vibrant red hair from where he was standing. He didn't think it was Ashton's father—not with the way that he was talking to him.

Whoever was on the otherwise tried to push the door open.

"What do you mean what? I heard you talking to someone."

It was a man. He had a higher pitch voice than Ashton, but it wasn't a feminine sounding voice. He sounded full of himself. Ren wouldn't doubt that this was a relative of Ashton's. A brother? They sounded like they were around the same age.

"That isn't any of your business, is it?"

Ashton tried to push the man out.

"Are you sneaking them in for the night? Who is it? I really don't think anyone is willing to sleep with your ugly corpse."

The man managed to slip through the small space between Ashton and the door. They came to a halt and looked around with a smirk on their face.

He was much taller than what Ren was expecting. His vibrant red hair couldn't have been natural, but by the way he had it pulled up into a no-nonsense ponytail, he didn't seem like the type to really care about the color of his hair. He was wearing black silk pajamas that couldn't have been cheap and a pair of gold wire glasses.

That was unusual. Vampires didn't need glasses. They had more than perfect vision.

Ren was right about the fact that he and Ashton were related. They had the same eyes. The same eyes that Ashton had gotten from his mother. And Ren had also been right that they were around the same age.

Ren had never been so right in his life.

The man stopped and stared at Ren. He cocked his head.

"Well, that's surprising."

Ashton tried to slam the door, but it was so well built that it came to a soft close. That was probably for the best. Ren didn't want to find out what Ashton's parents were like when they were woken up and grumpy.

He'd seen enough just from Ashton's mother.

"Is there a reason why you need to see what I'm up to?" Ashton crossed his arms and walked in front of the man.

The man was still looking at Ren. Ren shifted back and forth on his feet, trying to shake out the uneasiness that he got from the man's wandering gaze. When he seemed to have gotten over his curiosity, he looked away. The smirk on his face reminded Ren so much of Ashton, yet it was different. The smirk on this man was unsettling. Like he was planning devious acts. When Ashton did the same, he just looked like he knew he was better than everyone else.