Chapter 58

Chapter 58

Ren felt his heart drop into the pit of his stomach. He stared at his mom, lost for words. When he could finally take his eyes off of her to look around the room, he wasn't the only one that had been slammed by the weight of her words. It wasn't just the weight either that had Ashton and Kai looking at her like she'd grown a second hand. She knew the Mantels before any of them were born and her family had known them as well.

She folded her hands into her lap. "My dad had been part of an organization founded by witches. Our clan was the last of their kind. I'm the sole surviver of the original."

She turned to look over at Ren. "And in turn, you are the last generation."

Ren furrowed his brows. "What clan?"

"We don't have a name," she shook her head. "We spoke a different language, one that isn't documented. For the most part, we were invisible."

"What were you hunting my grandfather for?" Ashton scooted to the edge of the couch.

Renin seemed once again amused. "Who wasn't hunting that old man?"

His face darkened in the next second. He seemed to think about something and it stole all the amusement he had.

Margret looked over at him. She seemed to know what he was thinking about.

"Ryling Mantel was a hard ass that believed in vampire supremacy. Above all supernaturals and races. He was in cahoots with the Vampire Royalty in a scheme to start a major human trafficking route."

Ren thought he was going to be sick. He guessed it didn't matter which side he looked at, there were always going to be vile people that didn't care about others.

Margret paused for a moment. The room was silent as all of them let the words settle. Ren didn't know of Ashton or Kai knew about this, but he assumed they didn't. When he looked at the two of them, the looks on their faces didn't give anything away.

"That was the reason why my parents were going to kill him. It wasn't a matter about whether they liked him or not. It was a matter about whether they wanted innocent people to be slaughtered."

Renin leaned forward. "You're not telling the entire truth."

She sent him an annoyed look. "I'm not finished."

She took a long took at the room. She let out a sigh. "This place hasn't changed since the day I first came here. It's awful."

"She won't let me change a thing," Renin grumbled.

He must have been talking about his wife.

Margret hummed. "I'm sure. She's always been a stickler for traditional things."

She continued to look around. "What I was getting at was that I somehow ended up in the same mess my parents were in. Ryling had opened a portal to the Underworld and had made a deal with a demon. In the end, I helped stop it and so did Renin and Antinette."

Her face hardened. Ren could sense that she still wasn't telling the entire truth. There was something hidden in her words that Ren couldn't decipher through. And when her eyes turned to him, he didn't know if he wanted to know that truth. But in some way, he already knew.

She knew who exactly his father was. He hadn't been some estranged vampire that had been crossing through town and he held a lot more importance than she had ever let on before.

He didn't know he was holding his breath until his chest tightened and his lungs began to burn. He forced himself to take a shuttering breath, but it wasn't enough to quench the horrible feeling that was going through him. He wasn't having a panic attack but he might as well have been.