Chapter 15

Margret pressed her hand to Ren's forehead

Margret pressed her hand to Ren's forehead. She let out a sigh and gave him a pitying look.

"You've done it now," she said while placing a towel wrapped around ice to his head.

She said that he's done it, but really, it wasn't him at all. If she only knew what he'd been through these past few days, she wouldn't have said anything at all.

He watched the ceiling fan turn on its own. How he didn't know. A breeze from the front door opening? Or maybe it was a side effect of the thing that had controlled his body.

Craning his neck, he looked down at his hand. He'd smashed it under his weight when he fell. The pain had been nothing to what he'd been experiencing when the thing had controlled his body. There had been no registry at first. From the way his mom had yelled, it sounded like she'd been the one who fell.

His wrist was turning a light purple, but it didn't look too bad. After all, it could have been far worse. Any closer and he would have broken his neck on the coffee table. It was a good thing there had been a wide-open space for him to smack face-first into the floor.

"Thank God I was here when you fell." He turned to her. She gave a small smile.

He returned it.

The second she turned, it fell. He thought back to what he'd found in her room. The glowing orb didn't ring any bells and he hadn't had the time to look at the journal.

The thing controlling him had wanted that orb though. He didn't understand why it dropped its grip on him when it was about to get away. If it was going to all this trouble about getting that thing, then why was it hesitant when his mom came around?

He held up his bruised hand to his face. With his other hand, he traced the outline of the bruise. A spark of pain jolted through his arm. It was faint, disappearing once he let up on the bruise.

He narrowed his eyes.

It was just another bad feeling. Though, to be frank, he would have thought he would've been more freaked out about something controlling his body.

He blinked, eyes widening, and then glanced over at his mom.

If that thing could control him with ease, did it meant it could control anyone? Would it use him to hurt his mom?

His hands clenched. They balled into fists even when his right hand hurt.

Just add that to the list of things he had to figure out. This week had turned into a complete shit show.

He closed his eyes and let out a sigh. The towel on his head made him feel ridiculous. This wasn't a job for him. He was a frail vampire who couldn't fight, knew nothing, and had no reason to be sought out by some supernatural force. There was no way he could solve all these problems stacking up against him.