Chapter 59

Chapter 59

Ren awkwardly shifted his weight on his feet. He clenched and unclenched his fists, looking around the room for something to focus on. He could have bailed completely and followed his mom upstairs, but he couldn't bring his feet to move. He was a deer caught in headlights and those headlights were Ashton's eyes.

They weren't glowing red or anything. They weren't even glaring at him like he'd become accustomed to. That might have been easier to tolerate. He could have glared back at Ashton or maybe given him a snark look before—again—running after his mom. But he couldn't do either of those things because his stupid body wouldn't unfreeze itself.

Ren tried to swallow the lump in his throat, but he couldn't even do that. The first few times he tried to swallow he couldn't fulfill the motion. He panicked for a second, thinking that he was about to choke, but on the second try, he got it down.

He must have looked like an idiot with his stupid eyes wide. Embarrassment went through him like lightening and he wished that he could melt into the floor.

Ashton didn't seem to notice that Ren was dying on the inside or that he was having a mental breakdown. He was simply looking back at Ren like he was thinking about something.

Slowly, his eyes looked Ren up and down before they settled completely on Ren's face.

Ren let out a nervous laugh. He rubbed his neck. "Uh—I don't know what to say."

He didn't need to say anything really. It would have been better if he kept his mouth shut and ran away to never see Ashton again. They could do that. Until they found a way to break the bond they could go their separate ways and pretend that the other didn't exist.

Ashton's almost blank eyes blinked.

"I don't think there's much to be said."

Ren's face flushed.

The look on Ashton's face now was one of contempt. It was like he was looking at a bug stuck on the bottom of his shoe and Ren was that bug.

Ren's gut clenched. He couldn't really feel the thing, but he could remember how angry it usually got and that's what he was feeling right then. He wished he could get that angry once more. Just angry enough to say "fuck you" to Ashton and maybe throw a punch at his face.

He didn't want to feel this defeated when he didn't deserve it.

Okay. Maybe he did deserve some of it. It was kinda his fault that the Hunter Society had been lead to the Mantel's house and he'd been the one to kill the Hunters back at the HS Headquarters. But the HS was going to try and kill them eventually. It wasn't like he'd been doing all this on purpose.

He couldn't get angry. He was just ashamed. He was a stupid puppy with its tail between his legs.

He nodded.

"Let's make a deal. We stay out of each others way and we never speak of this again," he said. His voice betrayed him, shaking at the end like just voicing his thoughts was going to get him accosted.

He forced himself to look Ashton in the eyes. When he did, he thought the world was going to crumble around him. His stomach sank and he had to clench his hands to keep him anchored. He hated that Ashton could almost drive him to tears with just existing. Ren hated him so much for it too.

"That sounds great." Ashton crossed his arms. He stared back at Ren. The look on his face became unreadable, but it was still unsettling.

Ren thought Ashton hated him when they first met. That didn't even start to compare to the hatred brewing in his eyes now. All because Ren was part witch. He was still the same person he was before, but because his blood came from a certain group that somehow made things different between them.