Chapter 31

He pinched his bottom lip between his thumb and his pointer-finger

He pinched his bottom lip between his thumb and his pointer-finger. He was aware of his light footsteps and Ashton's footsteps that were confident. He wished he would stop picking up those small details. They were piling up inside of his head, taking up space that he desperately wanted to take back, and he feared by the end of things he'd have his own library of random facts about Ashton.

That wasn't useful or healthy at all.

"They're stopping."

Ren looked up. The Hunters were at the end of the alleyway. The woman—Remy—was pointing down at the scanner and talking to the men. She had a scowl on her face.

Ren and Ashton ducked behind a wide tree. Ren didn't know if it was necessary, but he was all in favor of not being caught.

"Do you know where they're going?" He tried to not think about how close they were again. Somehow he managed to just focus on the three Hunters and now how it would be easy to press his body against Ashton's.

"I have no idea."

Ren pressed his lips together. "Hell Hounds. They're familiar with them."

Ashton didn't say anything. He just stared at the backs of the Hunters. Ren shoved his hands into his jacket pockets. A shiver went through him. He shuddered, clenching his jaw so that his teeth wouldn't chatter.

They followed them for a while longer without anything major happening. Ren wouldn't say that he got bored easily, but he was getting this nervous tic that he didn't like. His fingers were thrumming on the inside of his jacket pocket. He chewed on his bottom lip.

"Stop that." Ashton put his hand on Ren's wrist.

Ren jumped as Ashton's cold fingertips grazed over his skin. He pulled away, careful to not make a scene that would draw the Hunters' attention.

"What?"

Ashton pulled his hand away. "You fidgeting. It's annoying."

Ren wrinkled his nose. "Piss off."

Ashton frowned and looked like he was about to argue further, but Ren walked away before he had the chance. He wasn't running because he was scared of Ashton. He knew that he couldn't do anything to him until their deal was finished. He was running because he could feel the buzzing within him coming to the surface.

He didn't know what had set it off. He wasn't that angry. He'd only been a little surprised when Ashton had put his hand on him.

Though he didn't like that he'd noticed the shaking in his hands. He'd seen it before—he'd pointed it out before and hadn't been as nice about it as he'd just been. The thing inside of him really didn't make sense. It was thirsty for blood and violence. It didn't matter where it came from. All that mattered was that it got it when it wanted it.

But it also wanted Ashton for another reason beside how good his blood tasted. It was like the thing inside of him was drawn to something about Ashton that Ren couldn't see.