Chapter 30

His legs were shaking as he crossed the alley and crouched next to Ashton

His legs were shaking as he crossed the alley and crouched next to Ashton. They were squashed shoulder to shoulder, backs against the sagging wall of the house, and it was like the universe was trying to make Ren lose his fucking mind.

"This is what we're going to do." Ashton leaned across the already small distance so he was barely an inch away from Ren's face. "I'm going to go in. I'll whistle if they're coming your way. Whistle if you're in trouble."

He jutted up to the window.

"Wait!" Ren grabbed Ashton's arm and yanked him back down.

"What?" Ashton hissed.

Ren pulled his hand away. "Uh...what if I can't whistle?"

Ashton stared at him. "Seriously?"

Ren glared. "Why would I joke about that?"

Ashton rolled his eyes. "Just—scream my name."

"Uh—"

Ren didn't get the chance to object as Ashton pulled himself up and through the window. He moved quickly through the almost empty room, leaving Ren alone again.

He tried not to think about the dirty thought that had gone through his head when he was told to scream Ashton's name if he was in danger. Ashton hadn't meant it that way. Ren was just hearing things.

It was his turn to listen closely to what was happening inside the small house. He turned his ear to the open window, doubting he would be able to hear anything. However, he was proved wrong when he could distinctively hear the older mens' voices.

"Paul's calling again."

"Don't pick up."

"He'll have my ass if I don't."

Those voices. Ren knew them. They were the same Hunters that had been looking for Carla. They had some device—a scanner if he was remembering correctly. And they had been talking about something else. He wracked his brain to remember what exactly they had said, but he'd been so focused on trying not to make a noise back then that it hadn't occurred to him to listen closely.

He tuned back into the current conversation.

"Hello?"

The house was silent except for a slight clinking sound. Ren furrowed his brows as he concentrated on the sound. What was that? It sounded like metal hitting metal. The sound didn't change. It was melodic, a steady rhythm that didn't sound like anything he'd heard before.

"Remy is with us. She's handling the scanner. No, we—"

Ren pressed closer to the side of the house. The man talking had fallen deathly silent. Someone shuffled and the clicking sound kept going.

"I understand, sir. I'll relay the message. Good day."

The man gave a heavy sigh. "I fucking hate him."