Chapter 1 - Beach

2 years later~

Waves crashed a few feet away from me while I sat on the warm sand. The sun was starting to set, and I knew I had to go home soon. Winter was creeping up, but it wouldn't come for another couple weeks. A sigh escaped my mouth and I perked my head up hearing laughter and screams.

A couple ran by behind me towards a lifeguard tower. The girl was about my age and ran around to try and avoid her boyfriend. She had a big smile on her face and her scream rang through the air with a laugh. Her boyfriend picked her up and slung her over his shoulder while she fought out of his grasp.

A small smile formed on my lips watching him walk off with her over his shoulder. My attention went back to the crashing waves and I stared at the water. It was low tide right now and the sunset was a soft pink and purple while clouds rolled in out of nowhere. I pulled out an old photo and unfolded it, staring at it for a few minutes.

"Enjoying the view?" A voice asked behind me.

I jumped and screamed a little, spinning around in a defensive stance. The picture got stuffed back in the seam of my suit. She smirked and sat down next to where I was sitting. I sighed and sat back down, drawing objects in the sand.

"You're more defensive now than when we were kids, Angel." She stared at the sea and propped her elbows up behind her.

"I've always been defensive, Cass." I mumbled, drawing a curve and loop.

She looked over my shoulder and smiled, looking back at the ocean. We were both Juniors in high school at the moment, and 17 years old.

"Ya know, they say 'whoever you think of when you stand in front of the ocean is the one you love'." She pointed at my doodle in the sand.

My eyes widened a little realizing I drew a heart with the initials R + A on the inside. I heaved a sigh and looked up at the ocean.

"That tells me your head is somewhere else than here, Angel. Do you want to talk about him?" She asked.

I glanced at her then back at the water, watching it come in and receded back.

"I'd rather not, Cass, it doesn't matter." I whispered, standing up.

I brushed the sand off my thighs and put my hands on my head. Cass stayed sitting and smiled.

"Well, I am glad you're here to help me. I didn't know your mom would get assigned to my case, but I wouldn't have it any other way." She stood up.

I nodded. "Yeah."

It was quiet between us for a while and I sighed again.

"Do you miss him?" She asked, breaking the silence.

I dropped my hands to my sides and traced one over the scar on my back. It was exposed with the bikini I wore and I could feel her gaze drop to it. It reminded me of so much.

"Of course I do, it's just..." I kicked at the sand. "He's all the way in New York across the country, Cass, and I'm here!"

"I got that part." She said. "Do you still talk to him?"

I stopped midway of kicking at the incoming water. My eyes dropped to the ground and I held my arms.

"Angel?" She asked. "You do still talk to him, right?"

I shook my head. "I...I haven't spoken to him for over a year. I stopped texting him a few months after I came back. Then he tried calling me, but I ignored it, and all of his brothers, too."

She crossed her arms. "Where's your phone?"

"In my pocket...?" I said. "Why?"

She shrugged. "Call him right now. I'm sure the time difference isn't that bad in New York right now. It's worth a shot."