Chapter 27 Pt. 2

"Watch yourself the rest of the tournament." He said.

"And why would I do that?" I asked.

"There's a team hoping to take revenge today on your setter." He said. "But, they've also got their eyes on you."

I narrowed my eyes at him and he drops his hand from my shoulder. I cross my arms loosely over my chest and stare at him.

"Why would they—"

"They want to break you." He whispered in my ear. "Worse than your setter."

"Why?"

"They don't want to see a girl beat them at their own game. It was the same with your setter." He replied.

"If you're trying to throw me off my game, it isn't working." I scoffed.

"It's just something I heard going around today when I got here." He responded.

He leaned in next to my ear.

"Be careful." He whispered, pulling away and walking back to his side.

I stood there thinking, and watched him walk back to his team. Someone called my name and I turned around.

"Ange, c'mon!" Lance waved me over.

They all glared at him and I got set in the back right, taking the ball and bouncing it a couple times. I held it in front of me and whispered a quick phrase and closed my eyes.

"Soar strong."

A whistle blew signaling me to go and I take a couple steps then toss the ball up high. My arm bends back behind my ear when I jump and I swing hard, landing on my two feet and quickly getting to my position. My hand stings a little from the hard snap and I watch the other side try to get control of it.

-

We win that game and have a break before our next game. I take my court shoes off and put my slides on, stuffing the shoes in my bag and sliding my knee pads off too.

"Let's hurry before the line gets too long." Carter speaks up.

I throw my backpack over my shoulder and grab my wallet from the front pocket. Sun pats my shoulder and I jump, then relax. He shoots a small smile my direction and I fake a smile. Lance runs ahead of us and Adam flips out.

"Hey, wait for us, dude!" He grabs his bag and sprints after him.

Kyle chuckles and Carter rolls his eyes. Joseph runs after them and we all head over to get our delicious açaí bowls.

Lance and Adam are playing some sort of game on their phones against each other, Joseph stands in front of me between those two eyeing the cart serving the frozen treat, Carter and Jacob are behind Sun who's standing next to me. A yawn escapes my mouth and I try to cover it up.

"You okay?" Sun asks, looking down at me.

"I'm fine." I whisper, rubbing my sleep deprived face.

"Next!" The man running the açaí bowl cart called.

I went up and ordered a regular with blueberries, strawberries, bananas, and whole grains with berry ice cream on the bottom. My eyes lit up and I paid the worker, and went off to the side standing by Joseph, Kyle, Lance, and Adam. They were eating theirs and I waited to dig into mine.