Chapter 9

Donnie was tinkering with another small project of his while I sat on the couch nearby. It was past midnight and Donnie called me over saying he needed help and was pulling an all nighter. Lucky for him, I was too, but for an English paper due in about 8 and a half hours from now when I get to school.

"I hate to ask, but can you help me with this real quick?" He said.

"Yeah," I set my laptop aside halfway open. "I need a break anyway."

He had a small cube like box in front of him, almost looked like a tiny cell of some sort.

"How can I help?" I ask.

"I need you to press on one of the frames when I tell you to. I'm gonna drill them together so I can weld this entire thing later." He grabbed a drill.

"Okay."

I put my hands on the box and did what he asked. He worked faster than a lot of people I know would on this kind of thing. I heard a small clank sound and I took my hands away slowly. The frame stayed perfectly and Donnie set his drill down.

"Thanks, Angel." He moved it onto a shelf high above and started putting his tools away.

"Anytime." I nodded and went back to my paper.

After a while, I managed to finish my English paper a half hour later.

"Hey, Don, do you mind if I print my paper?"

He nodded. "Sure, want me to do it for you?"

"Thank you." I handed him my laptop.

A couple minutes later, my homework assignment printed and I heaved a sigh of relief.

"Thank goodness I finished it on time." I mumbled.

"Barely, too." He pointed out.

I nodded and slipped it inside my folder, and put that into my backpack. I rub my face and eyes and yawn.

"How long did you have that assignment for?" He asked.

"A couple weeks, but my teacher kept changing her rubric a lot."

"So, you procrastinated on it?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Not really..." I mumbled. "It was extra credit."

"You were going to pull an all nighter for extra credit?" He sat down at his desk, tinkering with yet another small project to keep him up.

"I rarely pull an all nighter so I should be fine." I shrugged.

"Alright." He responded.

He went back to his work, so I decided to waste some time on my phone. That cup of coffee I brought with me is keeping me wide awake.

"Hey, Donnie?" I broke the silence in the lab.

"Yes?" He didn't look up from his work.

"During the fight, did you notice any dark smoke on the ground?"

"I don't think so, why?" He looked up at me and I shook my head.

"Just wondering." I said.

He set his screwdriver down. "Did you?"

"I did, but I feel like that makes me sound crazy."

"Why?"

"Well, for one, I asked Leo about it and says he never saw it. So far, it sounds like I was the only one who saw the dark cloud of smoke that night." I said.