Chapter 33

Raine woke up with a terrible pounding against her forehead. It was like someone was hammering against the area right between her eyes. She rolled over to find Stacy sleeping peacefully next to her. How they got to Raine's place home seemed like a total blur.

Raine glanced at her phone only to find that she had somehow spent two days at the party doing way too much ecstasy after her sexual escapade. She groaned at all the notifications on her phone and dreaded all of the emails that she needed to respond to.

She rolled out of bed and felt her stomach lurch forward, causing her to slump. She staggered her way to the bathroom and let everything in her stomach spray into the toilet. Before she knew it, Stacy was behind her, holding Raine's hair back and rubbing her back.

"Let it all out love," Stacy cooed.

As thankful as Raine was for her support in the moment, she couldn't help but compare Stacy to the the remnants of puke that had left a nasty aftertaste in her mouth. It was fun while it lasted.

For the rest of the day, Raine more and more sick. Helplessly, she relied on Stacy to take care of her as the fever attacked her like no tomorrow. Little did she know, this was just the beginning...

~

"You tested HIV positive," the nurse said as she peered down at the results.

The white clinic walls and sterile material on the counter next to the shiny silver sink closed in on Raine. She sat quietly in the chair across from the nurse who read out the results for a second time. Her heart stopped beating and she was no longer in her own body.

"That's not possible. I've been careful," Raine shook her head. "There must have been a mistake."

"Unfortunately the likeliness of two HIV tests coming back with the same results are low," nurse placed a hand over top of hers as if it would help console Raine in the moment.

This is not happening. There's no way.

"There is treatment though. Most people's HIV will never get to the point where they are diagnosed with AIDS. It's now a manageable chronic illness," the nurse nodded, chewing the inside of her cheek, "Now, I do need to tell you that you have to call the people you've had sexual activities with since your last test."

"Call them?" Raine blinked.

"Yes, you can either leave their numbers here or you can call them yourself. We do this because it's a public health issue," the nurse said matter-of-factly.

"But I always used protection," Raine pointed out.

"Doesn't matter," the nurse shrugged.

Shortly after, Raine was left to herself in the room as she slowly dialed Stacy's number.

"Hello, Stacy speaking," Stacy's voice was comforting.

"Stacy... I," Raine's throat choked up.

"Raine?" Stacy asked, "What's wrong my love?"

Raine paced around with the wired phone in her hand. She kicked the spinning chair just because she wanted to.

"You need to get tested for HIV because I tested positive," Raine blurted out and then added, "... I'm sorry."

There was a long pause.

"I've got to go," Stacy said abruptly and then a click was quickly followed by a dial tone.

It was all too much. Raine had people yell at her, hang up on her, and some that were panic stricken. The only person she wasn't able to get a hold of was Chris. Raine wanted to curl into a hole and die.

The words meant nothing as they echoed into and out of Raine's mind. She walked out in a zombie-like state with a couple of pamphlets and business cards about HIV.