Chapter 29

Still heaving from the rush over to Chris' building, Raine pressed the apartment number to get buzzed in and waited for the third time. Pick up...

By chance, another resident opened the door as they were leaving the building. Thanking her lucky stars, Raine slipped through the lobby door with no problems.

In the elevator, Raine bit her nail and paced back and forth, cursing at the snail-like pace of the machine. The string between her tongue and gut shrunk by the second and choked her. A million pins spiked into her hands, causing them to get hot. She wiped the sweat on her jeans.

Finally an annoying ding sounded and the entire elevator waited. The doors slowly opened like two tortoises that were crawling apart. She glanced at her watch as if it would help the doors open faster. For fuck's sake it's already seven.

Raine swished down the hallway in a rapid walk and rapped her knuckles on the newly finished door. She quickly fixed her hair in small jerky motions as she glanced up at the peephole. She couldn't hear much as all the pounding in her ears drowned out everything - including her thoughts.

She rubbed the back of her neck as she continued to knock. The wait was agonizing - not too different from the dreams where she'd run, but be stuck in one spot. She swallowed hard as she heard some shuffling from inside.

Finally, the door swung open and Chris' appeared in a pair of boxers and t-shirt with an aura of exhaustion. Despite that, the tinted pink eyes still managed to burn holes through Raine. Was Chris crying? Her hair looked like it had been dragged through carpet, but that didn't prevent Chris from curling her lips curled into a snarl.

"Go home," Chris growled as she leaned forward.

"Chris," Raine said weakly and took a step forward to close some of the distance between them, "Can I come in?"

Chris shook her head and leaned against the doorframe, "No, I've got company."

Company? Raine's lips flattened in a slight grimace, "What?"

Right on cue, a familiar face emerged from around the corner. Chun's long slender legs strided over to the door. Her hair was in messy curls and she looked like she had just awoken from a nap. She peeked over Chris' shoulder and frowned in disapproval when she saw Raine.

She's screwing Chun? Raine tried her hardest to not glare at Chris as she sucked in her cheek to keep her mouth shut. We're aren't exclusive. She started to tell herself, but there was a part of her that felt it; the betrayal. Did she do it because she was mad at me? Raine cleared her throat. Or was she already screwing her? Because if she was already screwing her, that's fine by me. I think. I mean I think I want Chris all to myself, but...

"Raine right?" Chun crossed her arms.

"Chun..." Raine murmured, "I need to talk to Chris for a minute."

Chun blinked and then chuckled, "Don't you have Stacy to go to? You know, seeing as you have no idea who Chris is?" She raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms over the only thing she was wearing; Chris' long t-shirt.

Raine felt the pit of her stomach sink. Chun's reaction to her had confirmed that they'd seen the video.

Raine sighed and looked to Chris, "I need to talk to you." The words sounded like they had scraped along gravel as they escaped her.

"Chun, could you give us a moment?" Chris asked softly, placed a hand on Chun's forearm, and then continued, "I'll be back in a bit."

Raine wanted to vomit. The entire situation was complexly screwed beyond belief. It made Raine wonder if there were twisted gods that were concocting the best ways for her to suffer.