Chapter 5

Raine glanced in the mirror and brushed a few strands of blonde back into place as the sound of toilets flushing echoed the bathroom. She got closer to the glass and touched up her eyeliner. Her full lips pursed into a smile. She always loved how French everything from her mouth down looked. The contours of her heart shaped face came down to a rounded point. The only things she didn't like about her face were her eyes and nose. She hated how her eyes weren't quite round enough and the bridge of her nose seemed flattened and not high enough. To top it all off, she still had a black eye from her last fight so she couldn't even put on her blue contact lenses.

Just days earlier, her fight had every seat in the stadium packed. Everyone was there to see the Lestrange versus Kemp fight. While the shouting was ear-ringing, Raine Lestrange had blocked out all the noises with her own racing heartbeat. She had been breathing through her mouth and in a lowered stance when it happened. She faked a movement and swayed one way, but was caught by a hook from a muscular arm. Her eye felt like it had rolled back. She wasn't sure if it did, but all she could feel were a few tears stinging behind the closed socket. She fell to the ground with a thump and she saw bright lights above her with the time remaining: two minutes and fifteen seconds. Then she saw her much larger opponent towering over her and the bright lights disappeared. A fist came smashing down at Raine, who quickly placed her arms beside her ears while throwing her knees closer to her body and dodged the next hit.

Raine rocked her upper body forward and managed to lock her into a chokehold. She exhaled and pulled with all her might. Needless to say, the fight ended and she helped her team progress to the next round.

Upon her return to school after the fight, a rumor had already started about how she was probably punched out by a girl she fucked. When she heard from Quin, she took it like a champ and found it hilarious.

In the bathroom, Raine diverted her attention from her eyes to the dark roots that threatened to expose themselves under the dirty blonde hair. She hated how foreign she looked.

Raine walked through the halls and confidently pushed through the double doors into the theatre styled classroom. She sat next to Quin in their research methods class by the middle and waited for the boring class to end.

The gray haired hunchback professor who stood in behind an old wooden podium concluded the lecture, "Start early and you won't regret it! Oh... and Lorraine Lestrange..." He looked over at Raine, who shuddered at her full name being used.

Next, the professor trailed a finger down his piece of paper and adjusted his glasses before he spoke again, " and Christine Kwon will be doing the research project together from now on. Class dismissed."

Raine observed to see who else was looking around. over at her new partner, uninterested.

"Hope she's better than the last idiot," Raine rolled her eyes as they got up.

Quin glanced over at Christine, "She's hot. I mean not in an objectifying kind of way or anything. Just like androgynously beautiful. I'm sure she's smart too - not because I'm stereotyping based on race..."

Raine chuckled at her best friend, "I think that was your record-breaker for most amount of disclaimers in one breath," and wrapped an arm around his neck.

"But don't you think she's really pulling off those men's clothes well?" Quin pressed onward.

"Please..." Raine didn't bother to look at her a second time. Instead she stared at Quin with an unimpressed look.

"Oh, not this again you Asian hater," he pushed her away.

"I'm not a hater. I just don't like Asian characteristics," Raine shrugged, "Call me white washed or whatevs."