Chapter 12

Sandwiched between rows of so-called ethnic cuisines, Raine and Chris entered the small restaurant called Lee's Chinese Food. Raine's craving for authentic Chinese food had gotten so overwhelming, that she desperately settled for a westernized version.

As Chris pushed the door and held it open for Raine, the little chime above clinked against itself. An older white couple turned their heads to see who had entered, and then went back to eating with forks. Chris and Raine dragged their boots against the bright red carpet and left darker stains from the slush on their boots. Shortly after, a man in a grey apron appeared at the other side of the restaurant behind the cash register.

When he smiled at Chris and Raine, the ripples at the ends of his eyes spread outward, "Nay ho!"

Raine gave him a small smile and responded in Cantonese, "Hi... we're here to get some takeout."

The middle aged man opened his mouth while his eyebrows shot up so high, they looked like they were going to extend and draw a circle around his face. He stared at Raine's blonde hair and then her blue eyes.

Raine fiddled with the collar of her asymmetric coat when she realized that the man was initially greeting Chris and not her. This is embarrassing.

Raine's immediate response was a knee-jerk reaction that she had no intention of doing. Cantonese was the language she learned before French and English, but even she was surprised that her mother tongue came so easily. The last time Raine spoke the language was right before she quit her dry walling job.

The conversation continued in Cantonese as the man rambled, "Wow! Your cantonese is very good. Where did you learn it?"

"I'm half Chinese." Raine muttered as she rubbed the side of her neck and looked down. Make it stop.

"Ah... that makes sense." he said as if he had a revolution of some sort.

As if he was unsure of what to do next, he grabbed two of the menus and disappeared into the kitchen.

"You can speak Cantonese?" Chris asked in English as she tilted her head at Raine, bewildered.

"Yeah, can't you?" Raine acted as if she were bored with the conversation while she scanned the menu.

"Well, yes..." Chris mumbled and scratched her head.

She knew that Raine had some inkling of foreign in her, but wasn't entirely sure what kind of foreign up until now. The way Raine conducted herself, had led Chris to believe that she probably knew almost nothing about Asian culture apart from stereotypes. To hear her speak fluent Cantonese without a Western accent was certainly a shock to Chris' system.

Chris asked aloud, "Why is it that we never talk to each other in Cantonese?"

Many of Chris' friends were quite happy to be able to connect on that level with her, so Chris found it quite strange that Raine had never even bothered to ask what language she spoke.

Raine's jaw hardened and she looked past Chris, "I don't like to."

Chris decided to leave it at that as she cupped her jaw and placed her index finger over her lips. But she sounds so adorable!

Raine refocused on Chris and forced a smile, "I'm also half French."

Chris noticed the subject change, but went along with it, "The more I know about you the hotter you get," she shot Raine a half smirk.

While they waited for their food to be made, Raine and Chris stood outside in the melting snow.

Chris scrunched the bridge of her nose, "I take the thing I said about you getting hotter back."