Chapter 22

Trance beats blasted through Chris' headphones as she laid on the bench and pushed the barbell upwards and away from her chest. Her arms shook on their way up as she let the air escape through her mouth like a volcano.

Eight. She probably wants to date me and is so clueless she doesn't even know. Nine.

Raine had told Chris about a dream she had where her feet were in the sand and Chris was holding her from behind as they sat on a beach.

Why else would she have told me about the dream? Eight. Wait, is this eight or nine?

It was hard for Chris to keep track of her repetitions when all she could think of was Raine. Raine was the first person that Chris felt safe being herself around. In fact, she thought Raine was someone who could keep her deepest secrets. Although, that's not to say that she had revealed any to the younger woman. While Chris knew what she wanted, she still had a little voice in her head that told her she needed to preserve her own well being. It was frustrating to say the least. Maybe I should just talk to her... delicately.

She hoisted the barbell onto the hooks and finished off her workout.

When Chris and Raine left the gym, Chris could felt her heart race faster than it had been during her workout. She tried to swallow the energy bar that Raine had given her, but her throat was nearly dry from nerves.

Chris choked out, "D'you want to come see my new pad?"

"The condo?" Raine blinked.

"Yeah you could shower there too if you want," Chris took in a deep breath.

Chris was not one to invite people into her space - particularly people she had slept with. In fact, she tended to quite finicky when it came to guests in general.

"Sounds good," Raine smiled in slight surprise and took a chug of her protein shake before she handed the drink over to Chris.

They headed to the newer part of town where the newly paved roads seemed wider and quieter. Chris had moved into the blue patterned highrise stretched endlessly towards the sky.

The smell of new paint was still evident in the hallway of the twenty-eighth floor. They entered the bright one bedroom apartment lit by sunlight that blasted through the patio door.

"This place is... incredibly clean," Raine looked around.

Chris smiled, "Nah, I still need to dust."

Chris took her shoes off by the door. The rows of shoes were sorted into sandals at the top followed by running shoes, dress shoes, and winter boots.

"Right..." Raine blinked as Chris filled the empty spot on the rack like a Tetris game.

Raine kicked her runners off and placed them as neatly as possible next to the perfectly lined rack.

"Chris, I'm seriously terrified to open the drawers in your kitchen. The spoons probably perfectly placed like those knives in that holder," Raine pointed at the aligned knives.

"What? I just moved in so everything is still perfect," Chris defended.

Raine blinked, "Perfect seems very serial-killer like."

"Right, I brought you back to my place so I could commit murder in the comfort of my new home," Chris laughed.

Raine walked over to the basket of fruits on the breakfast bar and poked the red apple with a finger.

"What are you doing?" Chris shook her head as she followed behind the curious woman.

"Checking if they're real obviously," Raine picked up the apple and bit into it before she said with a mouthful, "They're real."