Chapter 30

The next morning Raine sat in her office across from Laura, who had her chest puffed out and her head held high. Raine's tapped her pen on the cluttered desk and sneered. She has no idea what's coming for her. Apart from avoiding Chris, she had also skipped classes to relish in this moment.

"Why didn't you tell me it was airing on multiple stations at different times?" Raine inquired, placing the pen to rest and her hands on the desk.

Laura took her sweet time, sipping out of Starbucks cup. Raine internally hoped that it would burn her throat as she tapped tip of her leather boot on the ground in anticipation for the response.

"I thought it was just most convenient for you to watch it at seven since it was after work," Laura shrugged, "Why?"

Why? Raine's eyes widened with a fiery glare. Because you fucked everything up, you idiot.

"Your contract is terminated as of... now," Raine said quietly as the anger started to pile itself on in layers like a house of cards, daring for one soft touch to have it come crashing down.

Laura smiled and searched Raine's face to see if she were serious, "Is this a joke?"

"No."

The bubbling tension surfaced like a tsunami that had been given permission to take out anything and everything in its way - including itself.

"You clearly gave me the wrong information and completely screwed me over. Now get the hell out!" Raine shouted as her already bruised fist crashed down on the oak desk and her entire body shook from the aftermath of the devastation she brought upon it.

Laura stood up as her face was drained of all color. Her jaw clenched as she grabbed her handbag with haste and clutched it at her side.

"You have no idea, the sacrifices that I've made for you Raine." She bit her lip as tears welled up in her eyes as she started to walk away.

Raine got up and prowled after her. Raine's arms were crossed and she shook her head.

"Sacrifices?" Raine scoffed, "What like sleeping with me? You fucking did it just to get ahead in your career!"

A loud smack followed by stinging pulsed against Raine's cheek as the hand struck her.

"You'll regret this Raine," she snarled, "You're going down and so is Hush."

"Get out." Raine growled as she placed her hand over the cheek.

The moment the door clicked, a rush of overwhelming feelings hit Raine. In retaliation, she buried her head into her arms and sobbed. She had thought that firing Laura would give her some sort of instant gratification, but instead it just reminded her of how alone she was in her current situation. She was drowning.

The next few hours were a drag. She went out for way too many smokes and the day was just too long. There was nothing unusual as she participated in conference calls with a fake cheerfulness. That is, until one particular phone conversation.

"Raine, do you have a moment?" Austin poked his bearded head, "Your ma's on the phone."

Raine's neck snapped up from her pile of paperwork. "W-who?"

"Uh... your mom, sorry I'm just used to saying ma becau-" Austin started to ramble.

"Okay, thanks," Raine said quickly as her mind reeled. What's she calling for?

Raine's relationship with her mother had been quite the tumultuous one to say the very least.

"You seem so excited..." Austin chuckled at his own sarcasm, "Line six."