Chapter 28

Raine paced back and forth in the meeting room as she chugged another cold coffee. Damn it. She cursed at herself for forgetting that she had made another coffee and forgotten about it, yet again.

Her heart raced as she finally gave into her temptations. She picked up her cell phone and clicked the contact she'd been hoping to hear from. The multiple rings stretched out like a never ending drumroll. It's one o'clock. Maybe she's at work? Finally, one of the rings were interrupted.

"Hey," Chris said quietly.

"Hey," Raine melted at the sound of her voice. Shit. I hadn't thought this far. "I miss you."

She could feel her heartbeat throb in her throat like a frog's. She took another swig of the bitter coffee in her hand.

"I miss you too," Chris sighed in frustration, "But I'm still angry with you."

"What? Why?" Raine pressed the phone to her ear as she paced around the meeting room.

"You were with Stacy," she accused with a tone of voice that made the sentence end with a silent 'obviously'.

This was a new side of Chris that Raine hadn't seen. She didn't fully understand where it was coming from. Maybe she'd always been the jealous type and just hid it well? Something just didn't add up.

"Yes, but we said we're not exclusive though," Raine crossed an arm over her stomach and exhaled.

Raine's statement seemed to feed Chris' fire.

Chris sighed, "Raine, it's a tad different when it's the ex that tore your heart to shreds," the warmth in her voice had disappeared and was replaced with an icy zest, "And I also don't appreciate being told this information from your friend, Scar- oh wait, I'm sorry. I mean your other ex girlfriend, Scarlet."

Shit. Raine hesitated, "I..." she opened her mouth and then closed it.

It was too late to backpedal out of the quicksand Raine found herself in.

"You know what Raine? I don't think I can do this anymore," Chris' voice wavered, charged with anger.

"What do you mean?" Raine's hands went cold.

"I just - I can't stand your inability to communicate and simply be honest with me. It's not that difficult, Raine," Chris practically shot daggers through the phone at her.

Raine swallowed hard. Chris' words burned into her throat and she closed her eyes.

"Chris, please. You're really angry right now and I get it. I'm sorry about how you found out," Raine begged, "But baby, I want us to talk and figure out a way to make this work."

"Don't you baby me!" Chris roared with a ferociousness that Raine was unfamiliar with, " You're treating me like I am one of your little playmates. I'm absolutely not just another one of your fucking toys, Raine!" Chris' scream gripped Raine by the ears and turned them red.

Raine placed her forehead between her thumb and index finger, "Chris, please," she continued to beg and then looked at her watch, "can you meet me at five thirty tonight at the café by your place? I really want to talk to you."

There was a long pause before she heard, "Fine, it better be good. See you then," and then the line dropped.

It's not like I ever lied to her. Well... I guess I could have told her about Stacy, but that would have been so awkward. "Fuck," Raine swore and waved her phone at the gods above as if they were playing a cruel joke on her.

Stuck On You [Lesbian]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara