Chapter 11

It had been an entire week since Raine and Chris contacted one another, but this was all part of the cat and mouse game that Raine intended on winning. In the meantime, she continued her usual activities with other women. Although she couldn't help but be slightly disappointed after the heated exchanges were complete. If sex were a sport, which it kind of was to Raine, she and Chris were like Olympians while most people were still playing in minor leagues.

Raine arrived early to the research class they shared. Being early to class was unusual, but she had a meeting with the managers at her company, so it made sense to go straight to class from there. I actually have a company.

She could remember so vividly that feeling of being abandoned by Stacy. It was the same feeling that drove her to becoming a workaholic.

Raine laid in the middle of her bed and turned her phone on for the fifteenth time. She had turned it on and off for the same reasons over and over. While she wanted to not care, but she continued to feel the ache of wanting to hear from Stacy.

The night of the grocery store incident, Raine had texted Stacy with quite the choice of curse words. When Stacy didn't respond, she waited two days before she caved in and confessed her love for the older woman.

Twenty-one days had passed. She had tried to probe Quin about Stacy, and while he wasn't one to encourage this spying, he said the woman looked rather unfazed. In fact, everything was normal.

Raine stared at her phone. She had no messages. There was no apology, no asking how she was, no closure; nothing. The silence was killing her. She even threw out the rest of the weed she had because it reminded her of all the times she and Stacy got high together.

The inside of her nose tingled, tears built up in her eyes and when she blinked, she felt a soreness in her puffy eyelids. The streams continued to run down the side of her ears and her lips trembled as she tried to breathe through her mouth. After several minutes, she finally got up and went to the bathroom.

She peered at herself in the mirror. Her nose seemed raw from all the tissues and the makeup she had put on before class was smeared all over her face. Disgusting.

She snarled into the mirror at herself. Pathetic.

"You're fucking pathetic," Raine hissed at her reflection before she curled her mouth as if she had tasted something bitter.

Hindsight was what killed her... All the times Stacy couldn't sleep over, the times she had to leave in the middle of a date, and the rants about her boss. Considering the fact that Stacy and Sabrina worked in the same building, it was incredible that even the observant Quin couldn't decipher the two weren't just employee and boss, but a couple. Then again, he said that they always seemed very professional at work. In fact, one of Stacy's cleverest lies had been that she sometimes carpooled with Sabrina to get to work if they had similar hours on certain days.

Tired and feeling drained, Raine started to browse through a lesbian dating app on her phone. I wonder if Stacy's on here too...

She shook her head. No, the conniving woman would be more discreet than that. It would have to be a hidden app. One that was hidden in plain sight. Raine wondered how many cheating snakes were out there. Tons probably. If an app existed for them, it'd make a shit load of money off the fuckers.

The moment Raine's gears started turning, there was no stopping her.

Initially, Raine thought of an invisible app on a home screen, but quickly realized that there'd be problems if someone accidentally pressed the invisible button while using the phone.

Instead, Raine thought of potential small app partners desperate for users that she could approach. They'd just have to agree to add a small gateway in their existing app that could recognize when a particular user actually wanted to use Hush. For example, a GPS app could be used as a GPS app, but if the user had a Hush account, they could type their unique code into the app. Then it would run the Hush software stored in a locked hidden file on their phone.

Since Raine could have multiple partnering apps, it would be near impossible for anyone to figure out if their spouse was on Hush. The inclination for smaller apps to want to partner with Hush would be to simply get more traffic and even potential new users. Besides, if people got used to clicking on a specific app to access Hush, it would be likely that they'd have positive associations in their mind with the app acting as a front. After all, sex sells.

The problem was that Raine had only learned how to create simple websites in school. For the next year, she only went to class and her dry walling job. The rest of her time was spent on her project. The combination of the two was perfect. She was able to block out most of heartache because her body was exhausted and her mind was constantly preoccupied.

Within half a year, Raine was able to create a simple online dating platform with a group of programmers at the college she convinced to buy into the business. Initially they laughed at Raine's pathetic attempt to create the website, but regardless, they saw the potential of the idea. In the end, they each agreed on owning a share of the company, with Raine owning fifty-one percent of the company. The programmers kept Raine away from the techy parts of the company so she could focus on her strong suit, which was marketing and building relationships. Once they had enough active users, they added a membership fee and the dollars started to flow.

By the end of the first year, they had raised enough money to work on the app itself. Initially, business boomed and Raine found herself thinking of Stacy less and less. However the moment Raine didn't need to put in as much work, she found that Stacy continued to plague her mind.

She turned to the only thing that could relieve her stress... sex and working out.

Quin and Raine were in mid conversation about the sudden increase of Hush memberships after the press release when Raine noticed the boyish Chris walk closer to the door. Raine carried on as if she didn't see Chris. As the students piled out of the classroom, Raine opened the door and entered the lecture hall with Quin.

Raine noticed that Chris sat in the back row while many seats still remained empty throughout the hall. So you're playing too.

The entire lecture flew over Raine's head. All she could think of was how great Chris was when it came to pleasing her. Unknowingly, a smile appeared on Raine's face while she was completely zoned out.

She jolted out of her trance when she felt the light touch on her shoulder and looked over to find Chris behind her with a stack of papers in her hand.

"Hey," said Chris.

"Hey," Raine responded in an almost husky voice and bit her lip.

Chris grinned in a way that made her eyes flatten out, which caused Raine to wonder if Chris could read her mind.

"Want to come have a gander at this paper? It's due next week," Chris asked as she extended a hard copy of their research.

Blank faced, Raine blinked a few times. Does gander mean walk? That doesn't make sense.

"Uh," Raine narrowed her eyes, "...Gander?"

"A look. Come have a look at the paper," Chris tilted her head and curled her lips into a half pout, "I suppose Americans don't use that word."

"Sure... well then let's get some scran while we're at it," Raine smiled and stood up. She's too fucking cute.

"Whatever... is it a date?" Chris winked and chuckled.

"Yes," Raine smirked and pushed past Chris towards the door. Bet you didn't see that one coming.

Quin stared at his Raine as she left with Chris trailing behind. He raised an eyebrow in surprise and smirked. This is new.  

If sex was a sport... I wonder what it would be. Hmm... I diverged. What do you think of Raine so far and do you think she's capable of moving on? Vote, vote, vote to help support this story. It's always super encouraging to see the you engage with the chapter. Puts a biiiiiig smile on my face like this:  =)