Chapter 18

Old classic records and pieces of abstract art were scattered across the walls of the small grungy coffeehouse. It was only early evening and the venue was already filling up with diverse groups of people. In fact, it was surprising to Raine that the space was dominated with more darker skin folk than lighter.

Raine and Chris sat side by side at small round table facing the worn down stage. Chris sat with her legs open and her back slumped against her wooden chair as if the place was her second home. Meanwhile, Raine pulled her basketball cap down as she happily munched on a stack of grilled cheese sandwiches cut perfectly into triangles.

The aroma of Ethiopian coffee beans and freshly baked cookies seeped through the place. How could she resist all this amazing food? Raine blinked as Chris chugged her coffee out of a neon-yellow mug that seemed brighter than the dim lighting of the room.

Chris' unzipped jean jacket hung open, which allowed for Raine's eyes to sneakily follow the silver chain Chris sported. It went over her chest and on it hung a thick shiny ring to highlight the black t-shirt behind it. In between buttery bites of steamy cheese, Raine couldn't help but smile. Food and girls. She nearly drooled. This is the life.

Suddenly a pair of light-skinned arms covered Raine's view of Chris' chain. Raine tilted her head up so that her cap would allow her to see who wrapped their arms around Chris from behind.

Raine thought the woman behind Chris resembled a doppelganger of Lucy Liu when she was in the movie Charlie's Angels. Whoa. Her long wavy hair completely covered one of Chris' shoulders as she leaned down and smiled wantonly at Chris.

It was as though Raine had front row seats to a movie she didn't want to see. Raine felt the features of her own face pull into an unimpressed sullen expression that made it seem like she was staring at a picture of two children that had too much candy to eat.

"Wai, I missed you stranger," The woman's alluring voice complimented her demeanor.

Rude. Raine kissed her teeth. Luckily, she wasn't heard between the espresso machine, the clinking of cups, and chatter in the room.

Chris turned and said in a slightly higher pitched voice, "Ah Chun!" but quickly recovered from the initial shock with a smirk and turned to give her an awkward seated hug, "How've you been?"

Raine crossed her arms and unconsciously raised an eyebrow. Chun... Urgh, her name is Spring... I'm surprised her name isn't 'flowery fragrant' from all the perfume she's wearing.

Chun shrugged and pulled her hair to the side almost as dramatic as a shampoo commercial before she responded, "Mah mah day..."

Raine fought everything in her to not roll her eyes. Do we have to speak Cantonese everywhere we go? She felt herself sink into her chair.

Chun continued nonchalantly as she shifted her weight onto her hand on back of Chris' chair, "The girlfriend is jealous as always."

Although Chris nodded and let out a sigh as if she knew the context of Chun's relationship, Raine could have sworn that Chun had looked up and glanced in Raine's direction.

"Well -" Chris started, but was interrupted as Chun took a seat on her lap. 

Chun swung an arm over Chris' shoulder and smiled, "Hi, I'm Chun," as she extender her hand out for a shake. 

Chris squirmed uncomfortably as Chun continued on like nothing was out of place and that her mannerisms were quite normal when it came to interacting like this with Chris. Oh hell no. Raine's eyes widened before she forced a smile and pointed to the chair on her side, "Raine."