30.promise me this will never end

UNEDITED SORRY

"Alright, we're home." Ethan says, pulling the keys out of the ignition. He looks back at me in the rear view mirror. "You stayin the night?" Ethan arches his brow at me, making my cheeks flush to a rosey red.

"Of course." I bite my lips and arch my brow back at him. I can feel the tension buzzing through the car.

"I'm tired and it's like fucking 10 so goodnight." Grayson gets out of the car and shuffles his way into the house through the garage door.

"Wait Vic. Let me grab something inside real quick, but I gotta show you one of my favorite places." He smiles, I return the gesture.

"Okay, could you grab me a sweatshirt while you're in there?" I ask.

"Of course, now stay put. I'll be right back." He hops out of the car and jogs inside. I stand outside the car, leaning my bum against the closed door as I look up to the star filled sky. The air is warm, the breeze that gently blows preventing the atmosphere from become a humid mess.

I hear Ethan comes through the door, a lightweight sweatshirt in hand. He hands it to me. I smile and thank him before slipping it over my head, protecting my bare body from the slight chill.

"So where are we going?" I ask, resting my arms on Ethan's shoulders. He smiles down at me, his hands wrapping around my waist.

"I want to show you a park that I used to go to growing up." He kisses the top of my forehead and takes my hand in his. "Come on you." He teases, leading me down the driveway. We walk along the sidewalk, swaying our hands as we slowly make our way to Ethan's special location.

"So have you always lived here?" I ask.

"Yep, born and raised baby." I giggle lightly making him smile.

"What was your childhood like here?" I ask, getting to know more about Ethan is probably one of my favorite things to do. I find the small detail and overlooked beauties to be the most fascinating. Like how when he's truly happy he smiles with his teeth, not just his lips. Or when he is excited you can see it in his eyes and the small creases that appear around his lips.

"Well, it was fun. I played tons of sports with Gray. My mom and dad were always supportive. They wanted Gray and I to be happy and live our lives in the best way possible." Ethan looks down at his feet for a moment and I can see through the darkness of the night that he is thinking. But he quickly breaks out of it. "Hey let's do something fun, just like a little game to do while we're walking." He suggests.

"Okay." I smile.

"What is the craziest thing you've ever done?" He asks, his bright expression returning.

"Well. . ." I try to think of something and my mind immediately goes to the time when Ethan I paint the wall at the hospital. I laugh lightly. "Once, me and this lovely boy I met had the idea to create this beautiful piece of artwork, consisting of our names and a bunch of hand prints. That was pretty crazy because it was on a hospital wall and the nurses didn't care." I smile and Ethan laughs.

"Wow, you should steer clear of this boy." He puts up his index finger teasingly. "He sounds like trouble." He says in a deep voice, making me laugh harder.

"Ya well that boy, though he is trouble, is pretty great. I'll tell you that." I blush at my own comment and lightly nudge Ethan with my shoulder. "So what about you? What's the craziest thing you've ever done?" I ask. Ethan puts his hand to his chin in a joking manner.

"I've fallen in love. That the craziest thing I've ever done." I smile and butterflies erupt in my stomach as Ethan's gaze falls down upon my rosey cheeks. "It looks like we have arrived." I squint my eyes to see the outline of a playground, a large bench with fairy lights strung around the seat, and a swing set, also illuminated with the soft lights.

I smile at the sight, I haven't been to a park in such a long time. I rush over to the swing sets, plopping my butt in one before I start to pump my legs back and forth.

"Aye, come on bups. I have a surprise for ya." Ethan calls, walking to catch up with me. I smile and laugh a bit as he puts his hands in his pockets and looks up at me with a look of endearment. He lips softly pulled at the sides to form a small smile. His eyes glowing with a certain energy that makes me feel happy to be around him.

"Hmmm, a surprise you say." I smile, stopping myself by dragging my feet across the mulch. When I get low enough, I hop off and stand in front of Ethan, a full smile now on both of our faces. He eyes drop to his hands and back up to my eyes, small smirk forming. I look down to his hands to see a black velvet ring case holding a rose gold ring with a heart shaped frame, the heart topped with a perfectly placed cluster of diamonds. I gasp at the sight, my hand instinctively clinging to my face.

"Ethan!" I shout in shock, not caring how late it is. "Ethan what is this!" My heart pounds as my whole body seems to be a cloud. I feel as if I'm floating. Ethan lightly laughs at me.

"It's a promise ring." He smiles sweetly as a tear slips down my cheek. I start to break down as I look at it. I squeeze my eyes shut tightly and cover my mouth as I let out a small sob.

"I love you so damn much." I say before grabbing his face and connecting my lips to his. The ring's beautiful velvet box still in his hand and he wraps his arms around me.

"I love you too." He says, pulling away gently. "So much that I find myself wondering about how even deserve to have you in my life." He says, shaking his head. I smile through the tears that stream down my face and laugh lightly. "So my gorgeous Victoria." Ethan takes a step away from me, pulling the ring in front of him again. "I know for damn sure that you are the love of my life. When I think about my relationship and life with you I can't help but pour with all the wonderful emotions that your company has brought upon me. I know that you would never accept a full out proposal, and I don't believe that we are experienced enough in the ways of life to start a family quite yet. But I want you to, someday, be my wife and the mother of my children. So Victoria, will you please accept this promise ring? Will you promise me that this will never end?" Through his speech, I found myself getting lost in his words and the passion within them. I didn't know what to say other than,

"Yes, I promise." My smile seeming to be a permanent feature now. He takes the ring in his hand and slides it gently down my left ring finger and I feel light headed once more. This very moment is what I dreamed of. When I had cancer, I thought that this feeling of happiness would never be mine, I thought at Ethan would never be mine. But looking into his joyful eyes as he places the ring onto my finger, I know that no one on this earth will every love him as much as I do, and in the way that I do.

I pull him into a tight embrace, wrapping my arms around his neck. I hold him, feeling his warmth engulf me. I let myself melt into him, as I have done thousands of times before. "Remember the first time I told you that I loved you?" He asks, his voice low, almost in whisper.

"How could I forget? We were making cookies and you attacked, me with whipped cream. I told you that, 'if I didn't love you, you'd be so dead right now' and you teased me, but eventually told me that you loved me too." I smiled, taking in every detail of the moment. Soaking it up like it's the last time I'll ever be able to talk to Ethan, hold him, and love him.

"How bout we get outa here, get home and eat some cookies." He smiles, looking down at me with those big hazel eyes.

"Sounds like a great plan."