23.roses and peonies

Start from the beginning

I get out, still humming, and pat myself down with a soft towel. Once completely dry, I put on my undergarments and start my drake playlist. I blast the music and rap along to Controlla. Once I finish my dancing and singing I put on my outfit and spray my hair down with a heat protectant.

Then I go to work, I blow dry my hair and straighten it. I decide to go completely natural, since I don't wear much make up anyway. I slip on a Nike hat and my all star Adidas, my good friend Quinn would kill me for mixing the two.

I run and jump on my bed, picking up my phone from its charger to text Ethan. I send a text saying heyy boo, i'm ready in the mean time I scroll through Instagram, randomly liking people's photos.

After scrolling for a few minutes I start to get dms asking if I was okay, but more than usual. I don't open them because they are just looking for drama and pity to feed off of and I refuse to give it to them.

Finally, I hear the doorbell ring. I jump up and fly down the stairs, my hair flagging behind me. I beat Michael to the door and open it to see Ethan standing with a bouquet of light pink roses and peonies in one hand, and a heart shaped chocolate box in the other. I cover my mouth with my hands, tears threaten to roll down my cheeks.

"Ethan!" I exclaim.

"You said you like pink roses and peonies." He smiles, as if his gesture of endearment means little. But to me, it's everything. The fact that he remembered the kind of flower and the color that I liked them in is astonishing.

He extends the flowers and chocolates to me and I take them from his hands gently. "Come on in, I gotta put these up in my room." I say, still in awe. "Follow me." I look back up to him and lead him upstairs to my room, Michael returning to my mother without a word.

______
ETHAN

I followed a very happy Vic upstairs. Her house was very neat, clean, and smelled of what I imagine Hawaii would smell like. But when we enter her room, the sweet smell of apples and vanilla fill my nostrils. I could tell this was her room even if I was blind, for her natural scent of apple and vanilla is so distinct.

She closes the door behind me with her foot and sets the flowers and chocolates down on her marble bedside table. She turns to me and hugs me tight.

"Thank you." I feel her smile against my chest and wrap my arms around her small body, loving her soft touch. Vic's hugs are probably the best hugs one could receive. She presses her temple to my chest and wraps her arms around my mid section.

"Anything for my Vic." I reply, my words true, I would do anything for this girl.

"I love you." She says with an adorable giggle.

"I love you too." I rest my chin on her head and smile widely, glad to have my Vic happy and back in my arms, safe from the dangers of the world.

"Where are we going today?" She asks after a moment of silence.

"You'll see." I tease with a smile. She groans and slowly slips from my arms with a pout on her plump lips. She crosses her arms over her chest. I clench my jaw, arching a brow at her.

"So wheres the white van that I'm supposed to get in now that I can't know where we're going?" She asks, her serious face slowly breaking. I laugh at her cup her gorgeous face in my hands and press my lips to hers.

"No, come on." I take her hand and lead her out to the car. Once there, we hop in and I hand the aux cord to her. She takes it and bites her lip with a smile. Oldies music starts to play through the speakers and I can't help but laugh and sing along. I take a Snapchat of us singing recklessly together and post it to my story, saving it before doing so.

We continue to sing as I pull into the parking lot of a very familiar place, the milkshake parlor my father used to take me to when I was younger. She gasps when she reads the store name. I knew she would love it, the name being Vicky's Shakes.

She bounces in her seat and unbuckles. "Come on! Come on! Come on!" She demands. I laugh at how cute she is. She runs around to my car door. She kisses my lips through the open window and pulls the door open for me.

I take her hand and walk into the shop, memories of my father making me smile, but clench my jaw to hold back anything else. I tilt my head up to the many vintage posters and signs, my eyes trail to Vic. Her eyes gleam and her smile seems to glow. She seems radiant.

I soak up the moment, enjoying the happiness written upon her face. We move up in line, being the next to order. She looks up to the flavor board and lips her pink lips. I take in every detail of her face, as if it's the last time I will ever see them.

She turns to me with a smile. "I'm gonna get the vanilla and peanut butter swirl, what're you getting?" She asks, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Strawberry." I say.

"Nice." She nods. "I'm paying." She says before walking forward to order, a smile planted on her face knowing she won that unspoken battle.

"Hello, can I have a regular vanilla and peanut butter swirl with a water please?" Vic says. The cashier nods to her.

"Will that be all?" She asks Vic.

"Nope." She turns to me and I smile.

"I'll have a regular strawberry shake please." I say, shaking my head as Vic grins and hands the cashier a 20. The woman walks away to make the shakes and pull Vic into a hug. "You're a little devil." I laugh. "I was supposed to pay for that." I pout. She laughs and lightly slaps my bicep.

"Oh stop, you can pay next time." Vic laughs before we move off to the side. As we stand I lightly nudge her with my shoulder, she nudges me back almost instantly. We start to go back back and forth, nudging each other and laughing at how stupid we must look.

"Here you are ma'am." The lady from the cashier smiles, sliding our milkshakes and Vic's water across the counter.

"Thank you." Vic says politely before handing me my shake. She takes a sip from the straw and makes weird face rolling her eyes, I laugh at her. "This is so good oh my gawwwd." She says dramatically.

"Alright Vic, lets go find a seat." I laugh. She nods and takes another sip, she walks towards the corner of the small shop and sits with her back to the wall. We sit across from each other drinking our shakes, Vic occasionally taking a sip from her water.

The silence becomes annoying so I take some whipped cream from the top of my drink and put it on the tip of my nose and cross my eyes, sending Vic into a small giggle fit.

"White people." She shakes her head, making both of us laugh even harder. As she laughs I catch a picture of her in my phone. She catches me and points an index finger at me.

"Ethan Dolan, what the fuck did I just see? A phone at the table?" She gasps and places a hand in her chest. I laugh and shake my head.

"Alright mom, calm down." I joke.

"Oh son, you've always been a frisky one." She winks and I blush for no apparent reason. She shakes her head, dropping her act. "Love you bups." She says taking a sip from her water.

"Love you too Vic."

a/n: oi mate, how you liking the book?5 likes?

5 likes?