Chapter Forty Three

Start from the beginning

My mother clasped my hand in both of hers and fixed me with a look I couldn't quite discern.

I didn't let a breath pass before I began my frantic apology. "Mr. Stinson I can't begin to express how sorry I am for my inexplicable absence. It was completely unprofessional of me and if you give me another chance, I promise I..."

He held up his hand, promptly shutting me right up.

"You don't need to explain any further, Miss Wyatt. I understand the reason for your absence"

I gulped. He did?

He tossed a look at my mother "Actually your lovely mother and I were just here talking about your future"

"M..m.my future?" I couldn't help stammering

"Umm... Ellie Mr. Stinson has quite a proposition for you. I believe it would be best to hear it from him", my mother gave my hands a squeeze as she looked into my eyes "I'll give you guys some privacy now, honey"

She stood up giving my hands an extra squeeze before she departed. I felt like she was trying to pass me some sort of message but I was still confused as to what was going on.

Once she left, Mr. Stinson's eyes returned to me with a laser-sharp focus. I felt goose bumps prickle over my skin at the strangeness of the situation.

Mr. Stinson broke the silence first. "I know all about you and my son"

Oh.

Well that was abrupt.

I opened my mouth to... I don't know... Apologize? But thankfully he beat me to the chase.

"I need you to understand that I have nothing against you but to be frank, nothing could have ever come out that relationship"

He made it sound like our relationship was just as wrong as incest.

I blinked and then somehow found the energy to shake my head. "I don't understand"

"Noah and Shannon are pretty much a thing cast in stone. My son's future is bright and already set out before him, I've practically handed it to him and he would be a fool to even consider any other options"

Woah. Harsh. I wasn't sure I had ever seen this side of Mr. Stinson before.

He took a deep breath like he was trying to flush out the negative vibes from his system. "But I'm not here to talk about my son. I'm here to talk about you and your future"

I blinked again. Safe to say I was perplexed at this point.

"My future?"

"Yes" he gave me a closed-mouth smile "My, Miss Wyatt I would be lying if I didn't say I don't see outstanding potential in you. And you are so young, too. We could do so much with that potential, don't you think?"

I nodded, a little dumbstruck at the path this conversation was taking. I was sure he was going to curse me out for trying to ruin Noah's future.

"You have quite a promising future ahead of you, Miss Wyatt. And I want to be an investor in that, I wouldn't be the businessman I am today without making investments, would I?"

"No, sir", I responded automatically once I saw that he was fishing for an answer.

"Good", he patted my knee with an almost clinical flourish "I don't usually do this but I feel quite bad about how things played out between you and my son. You are a sweet girl and you don't deserve his silly, meandering ways"

I almost choked as hot tears sprung to my eyes. Meandering? So, I wasn't even special then.

"He used you", Mr. Stinson continued "As a way to rebel against me and a life he believes is stifling, I presume", he rubbed his temples with his thumbs like he was easing off a sudden ache "For all the money spent on making sure he received the best education, he sometimes acts like a child. But everything has been settled now, we had... a little talk and I believe everything is moving on as initially planned"

He smiled at me again and a singular thought crossed my mind. Did he even know Noah had quit?

"I don't like to beat around the bush Miss Wyatt, so this is what I'm offering. An investment in your future because I can't let you waste your potential on a summer fling with my son"

I gulped, waiting for him to continue as a million emotions warred within me.

"As soon as you are done with college, in the next two years I believe..." I nodded "... You would be employed by Stinson and Co.'s group of companies. A level 5 Engineer position in any of our branches of your choice in Connecticut, New York, Florida or Calgary"

Level 5 Engineer. Damn, my mouth watered at the thought. That would be automatically surpassing a couple years of promotion to get to that point. And a fat check to go along with it. Immediately I graduated. Any branch I wanted.

Damn.

In this economy, that was all I could ever ask for.

That was all I had been working towards, after all.

Working tirelessly in school and making sure I did great at work, was all to ultimately get to this point at some time in my life and career.

It was a tempting offer, but it didn't feel quite right. There had to be a catch, I was sure of it.

"Now to feel secure in my investment, I would need you to do something for me as well", he smiled as he continued.

I felt my stomach drop.

I knew it.

"You would have to promise to cut all ties with, and stay away from my son", he said, his voice dripping with utmost seriousness "Unfortunately, I can tell that he has a negative influence on you and until everyone can move forward, it would be best if both of you are without the... distraction"

I was too dazed to even nod automatically like I had been doing. I know I had ended things with Noah, but with Mr. Stinson coming specially to my house to practically bribe me to stay away from his son, a whole new world was opened up to me.

In a way, I felt everything Mr. Stinson was saying was completely true. I shouldn't waste my future over something that would never work, but this... him being here... telling me this... felt extremely wrong. The whole situation made my skin crawl.

I was still lost in my thoughts when Mr. Stinson suddenly stood up. I automatically stood up with him.

"I won't pressure you into responding immediately, Miss Wyatt", he fixed me with a look "I believe I have left you quite a lot to chew on. Take your time, think and mull over it. It is your future after all"

"Well, that's fine. Err... thank you for the offer sir, I'll think about it"

He nodded, pleased with my response. "Alright, Miss Wyatt. I have a family to return home to so I have to leave now. I trust to see you back at work tomorrow?"

I nodded and tried to force a smile. "Yes sir, bright and early"

With that, there was nothing left to say. Mr. Stinson said goodbye to my mother who had been waiting in the kitchen and we both walked him out the door. I just then noticed the driver sitting in the flashy car and Mr. Stinson's personal security detail in the passenger's side.

Ugh, I really needed to pay more attention to my surroundings. A heads up would have been nice.

As I watched Mr. Stinson's car roll away from the driveway, I couldn't help but wonder how my life had turned into this huge, complicated, messy pile of flaming dog poop.

A/N: Another update for my wonderful readers! What do you all think about Mr. Stinson's offer to Ellie? Let me know your thoughts with your votes and comments. Xoxoxo
-Crystal