Chapter 9: The Tracker, The Pistols and Edward?

Chapter 9

The Tracker, The Pistols and Edward?

My eyes flutter open bringing me back from my deep sleep to find Harry sleeping besides me. He is in a sitting position with his back against the headboard of my bed. He must have dozed off watching out for me the whole night. Something inside me stirred at the thought of him watching over me as I lay asleep here. I didn't feel like waking him up yet and so I get to my daily routine without making much noise. I made breakfast, set it on the table and now I am standing here wondering how to wake him up. I call out for his name twice in a gentle voice but he doesn't move. I edge near to the bed and slightly shake his shoulder and that makes him jump up. "Yes sir, mission accepted." The words rush out of his mouth. The way he is looking up at me as realisation of who I am sinks inside his head makes me laugh. He falls back on the bed mumbling that sounded like 'give me five minutes'.

I am waiting for Harry to pick me up. It was very difficult lying to Jack about staying in the office for extra work. He usually dropped me home but since Harry has instructed me on how important it is for him to drive me home and stay the night, I have no other option. After all he saved my life once. He picks me up from the office, drives me home, I make dinner, we eat in silence and then I sleep. This has been my late evening routine with him since the day before yesterday. It scares me a little knowing Harry will be around while I sleep. I mean no one trusts someone so easily, so quickly. But he hasn't been harmful since the last two days. There are things he is hiding and he knows that I know it. People hide things due to reasons. Good reasons or bad reasons, but there is always a reason. They keep secrets. Each one of us does. But what is killing me inside is that secret is about me. And I have to know it. I see the similar car pulling up near me. He mutters a quick apology for the delay while I settle myself in the car. And he is driving back to my house, so I pay no attention and close my eyes to give my mind a rest after all the thinking. The car halts and I open my eyes to find a familiar looking gate. Why am I here and not home?

After yelling and screaming for about ten minutes in the car, Harry and I are back in the same room I was once. Yes that's right. He bought me back to the agency. There are few people coming and leaving the room, placing bags and gadgets on the table nearby. Why the hell no one feels like telling me anything! Harry rushes inside and pulls off his jacket. "Hey Edward, all the equipment's here. Anything else?", a guy in black uniform speaks to Harry. But I realize the receiver of the conversation a second later. Edward? Why is the uniform guy addressing Harry as Edward? These thoughts are spinning around my mind and I am so consumed by them that I miss what Harry says to the guy and soon the guy is no where to be found. I look up at Harry finding only the two of us in the room with the door closed.

"It's time you know what is happening." Harry or Edward mumbles looking straight in my eyes. "Finally! Now you feel like you are ready. I have been doing exactly what you told me and it takes you this long to tell me." He shakes his head probably getting frustrated by my reaction. I know I am being bitter with my words but right now I don't care because its about me. He pulls out a small round device from a small pouch and comes near me. "This is a small tracker. I want you to attach it somewhere so that it lets me know where you are all the time. Don't lose it." He explains me like I am a five year old. I roll my eyes and mutter a sure sarcastically. He seems to be losing his patience with me and so he steps in front of me and pins the tracker forcefully on my the sleeve of my shirt. "Hey!" I yell at him for his misbehaviour. He moves aside and speaks while gathering a few things. "Get that tracker somewhere on you so that you won't lose it. You may change clothes." What does he mean by that? A loud beep booms in the air. "The tracker works.", he mumbles to himself looking the screen of his cellphone. When I do not oblige or respond, he pulls out his silver chain from his neck, resting beneath his shirt that I never noticed before and gets the tracker back from my sleeve. Why the hell does he have to be so harsh! He sets the tracker in the chain like a small pendant and puts it around my neck. "Get your hair aside." He orders me and I reluctantly pull them aside letting him clasp the chain hook.

Thirty minutes later, he has finished loading small pistols and bullets in his jacket, securing them. Yes pistols and bullets. The appearance of the first one made me shudder in fear and even gasp but he continued his work. Even his large combat boots has one. He puts on his jacket. Also, he makes me change into a set of comfortable clothes, black jeans and a shirt with a warm jacket and similar pair of combat boots. Seconds later he hands me a thick black vest. "Wear it underneath your jacket. It is a bulletproof vest." The moment he says bulletproof, my insides clench and suddenly I am feeling too cold that makes me shiver. I am in grave danger. "Hey, hey don't pass out. We have got to leave." Harry shouts holding my arm to keep me from hitting the ground. That's when I come to know that my knees have turned into jelly and can no longer hold my weight. I am pretty sure that my skin is paler than usual. All I need is to get back to my normal life.

Harry picks up a backpack filled with God knows what. I pull my hair into a pony tail and sit down feeling feverish. I don't know why but my head keeps saying that its a larger conspiracy and if Harry knows about it, he is not telling me. "Now listen to me very carefully." He speaks in a low voice, pulling me out of my thoughts that were creating a havoc in my mind before he interrupted me. "The killer from that night was following our car and I had no choice but to get you here. No one can hurt you as long as I am with you. Okay?" I nod unable to speak with a lump in my throat. "All you have to do is stay beside me and do as I say. I am going to get you somewhere safe and secure and chase down that damn killer." "B-But you said we are safe here" I manage to get the words out of my dry throat. His face changes into the angry one and his jaw is set before speaking through gritted teeth, "I doubt it."

*****

So what do you think of this chapter? So many secrets to be answered...

Any ideas or suggestions, tell me in your comments.

Vote and comment if you like it.

Regards,

A.R.