Chapter 38 - Foolish

I hear a low humming and I open my sleepy eyes. I smile slightly, watching Derrick tap his thumbs against the steering wheel.

"Oh hey, princess. Feel better?" He asks, his eyes bright as he looks at me.

I shrug as I lay my head on his shoulder. "A little. How much longer until I'm home?" He doesn't say anything for a minute and I look up at him.

"Derrick?"

"Hmm, oh yes. Not that much longer." I nod and lay my head back on him. His right hand grips the inner part of my thigh as he drives with his left and I flinch at his touch. I gasp and push his hand off.

"What's wrong?" He asks concerned and I cover my face with my hands.

"I'm sorry just after this week someone or anyone touching me just makes me freak. I'm sorry, it's not you it's just, I don't feel...I don't know. Like, I'm not good enough for you to touch me." I whisper and he pulls the car over to the side of the road.

"Listen to me. Whatever he did to you is not because you are a horrible person or not because you aren't good enough. You are more than good enough and he's just a sick son of a bitch who is going to rot in hell. If it makes you uncomfortable I won't touch you, okay baby?" I nod and he smiles slightly. He pulls back into the road and I sigh.

Why can't I just be normal?

The car stops and I look around. I knit my eyebrows in confusion. Why are we in the middle of the woods? How long was I day dreaming for? I didn't notice any of this.

"Uhm, this isn't my house?" I laugh and he opens up my door for me and helps me down.

"Okay, so I lied. I'm not taking you home just yet. There's so many people at your house right now and I thought it'd be good to have you relax after what you've been through this passed week."

I open my mouth to say something but he stops me. "I've already talked to your mom. She agrees that you need this right now." He looks at me as I think of something to say.

"So she knows? About all of this?"

He eagerly nods and I turn around to look at the deep tones of brick that make up this gorgeous house. He wraps his arms around my waist and I lay my head against his chest.

"Can I call her?"

"Call who?"

"My mom." He let's go and looks at me.

"Yeah sure." He walks to the car and gets the phone. He hands it to me and I look.

'No service.' It read. I frown and hand it back to him. "Maybe later then, I guess."

He walks me inside and it smells like maple. I yawn and he smiles at me, brushing some of my hair behind my ear.

His thumb lightly traces over the cuts and bruises that cover my face. "I'm so sorry this happened to you." He whispers. A tear falls from his beautiful eyes and I wipe it away.

"If it hadn't happened to me, it would've happened to someone else. I will live through this hell a million times if that means another little girl doesn't have to."

He let's put a breathy laugh and hugs me tightly. His hand presses against the back of my neck and he shakes his head. "You are so brave."

*

I sit up groggily and look over at the clock. It reads 3:09 a.m and I sigh. I look over at Derrick sleeping peacefully on the couch at the other end of the room. I can't even sleep on the same
bed as him. What is wrong with me? Every time my uncle hurt me or touched me in a way he shouldn't have, I wished Derrick was the one touching me. I would act like I was fine and happy because I didn't want to worry anyone.