Chapter 48: Home

"Ok wait, so you kissed Ben, then Draco told you he still loves you?" Maddy asks throwing her sweater in her suitcase. 

"Yes, so now I'm beyond confused and oh, ya, I have the great job of writing a eulogy, about my brother, who was killed by Draco's father, because he was trying to kill me!" I yell throwing my shoes across the room.

I feel tears fall down my face and collapse to the floor.

"Elena, I'm sorry, we don't have to talk about it," Maddy says putting her things down and sitting beside me.

She wraps her arms around me and I hug her back.

"Why did he have to kill him? Why is he such a terrible person" I say through my sobs.

"Some people are just cold Elena, sometimes they're so cold that they would kill just to make a point," she says

I hug her tighter and close my eyes.

----------------------------------------------

"Thank you," I say as Logan helps me out of the train.

I look out to the busy platform and see mother standing looking horrible. Her hair is a mess, she's wearing a black dress that rips at the bottom and a large black hat. She looks at the floor and barely notices that the train has arrived.

I see that Logan has noticed her too and he puts an arm around me. We walk up to her together with our bags. She looks up and her face instantly lights up.

"Oh, my babies" she yells running up to us.

She throws her arms around us and hugs us close to her. I hear her start to cry and she holds onto us.

"Hi, mom," I say placing my bag down and hugging her back.

She lets us go and looks at us. She forces a smile but I can tell she's in pain. I can tell she wants to say something else but doesn't. She just continues to smile and takes a deep breath.

"Well, let's get you two home," she says turning and heading off the platform.

I look at Logan as if to ask what to do and he just looks at mom as she walks. I pick my bag up and follow her with Logan.

We leave the platform and I get in the car. It's weird being in a muggle car after all the flying we've done at school. Logan gets in after me after putting out bags in the back. He sits up with mom and she starts the car. We start to drive and no one says anything. I worry if I say anything she'll start to cry. There's literally nothing to talk about because all of my stories are about Hogwarts or Draco. We sit in silence for a minute as we drive home. I look out the window and watch the trees pass by. Logan reaches for my mom's hand and she holds his. They don't say anything, they just sit there. I guess this is all we can do now.

----------------------------------------------
One month later

"Elena, it's time for dinner," Logan says peaking around my door.

"Ok," I say giving Dime his last piece of food.

"Oh, and you got a few letters today," he says

I get off the bed and follow Logan down the stairs. We walk into the kitchen and sit with mom while she brings the last plate to the table with a spell.

"So, the date for your brothers funeral was finalized today," she says

She's started talking about Mike about two weeks ago. The first little while we all acted like it didn't happen, or we all knew we weren't ready to talk about it.

"When is it?" Logan asks

"Next Wednesday" mom says

"Elena I'll find you something to wear" she continues

"Thank you," I say looking down.

We all stay silent and begin to eat. We've been doing this a lot lately. Having small talk then going silent for long periods. It's hard to talk about anything else. I haven't talked to my friends in a while. Ben has sent me letters but I haven't opened them.

"Elena, have you seen the neighbor's new dog?" Mom asks

"No what kind is it?" I ask grabbing at the opportunity of conversation

"It's an adorable black lab," she says

"Awe, I love them," I say

"Alice was asking if I would go for a dog walk with her tomorrow," mom says

"That's fun," I say

"I think it'll be nice, I haven't seen her in a few weeks," she says

We Finish dinner in about ten minutes and I help mom with a wash spell. Logan goes to the other room and sits on the couch. With no school, we're pretty bored here.

"Oh Elena, a letter came for you today," mom says

She hands me a letter and I flip it over, it reads

Elena, we need you
-H