Chapter 1: Prologue

The day has finally come. I got my Hogwarts letter two months ago and, have been counting down the days until I get to go to the most amazing place in the world. Mom and I just finished my school shopping yesterday. Going to get all of my books was when it really sunk in that I was actually going. I got all the things that were on the list in the letter.

I walked around my room making sure I didn't forget anything. My room wasn't that big so it would be hard to forget anything. I'm almost done packing when I hear my mother call me for breakfast.

"I'll be right down" I shout and continue packing my last few things.

I look in the mirror and fix my hair one last time before grabbing my wand and my bag. I've always kept my wand with me ever since I left Ollivanders with it. I feel so safe just having it near me. I walk down the creaky stairs of the house and see my mom in the kitchen. I put my bag down beside my new grey owl that I've named Dime and say hello to him. Dime is a beautiful grey with what seem to be silver highlights. I remembered that one time Mike was telling me about muggle coins and how they have silver ones called dimes. When I saw the silver in Dime's feathers I decided in the name. When my mom brought Dime home for me I was so surprised. He was so beautiful and perfect. That night I didn't go to sleep, I stayed up all night with my new friend.

"Elena, your food is getting cold" I hear my mom say as I snap back to reality.

I walk into the kitchen and sit with my mom and my brothers Logan and Michael who are both one year older than me and going into their second year of Hogwarts. They give me friendly small smiles but don't stop eating to talk to me. I would never expect them to choose me over food. I start to eat my toast and muffin when I think back on what it used to be like when dad was here. He was killed in the ministry of magic by a death eater ambush last year. He was trying to help his co-worker out from under a fallen price of rubble when he was hit by a spell. Although my mother has more details about what happened that day she didn't tell us, hoping to spare us some pain. My mother has somehow been able to put on a smiling face whenever she's with us but I know she's only smiling because she doesn't want us to get upset.

I finish my breakfast and pick up my plate. I put it on the counter for a washing spell to clean later. Then as the excitement hits me again I run over to the front door and put on my brown boots. I slide my wand in my boot for safe keeping and go to my bags and pick them up. My brothers and mother are close behind me. My brothers collect their things as my mother goes to open the car for us. She uses a quick "winggardium leviosa" to help us put our bags in the car. I jump in the back seat knowing that my brothers will fight over who will get the front seat. Logan being that much stronger wins and Mike sits with me. I notice that I don't really look like my brothers, this is something that I've thought of a lot. Mike has light brown hair and brown eyes and Logan has almost black hair and blue eyes. I suppose they don't look like each other either. I, on the other hand, have blonde hair and blue eyes. My mother has beautiful, long dark brown hair and so did my father. I guess out of three kids one would be different. We arrived at Kings Cross on perfect time and my brothers and I jumped out of the car and went to get our bags from the back while my mom got a trolley. We loaded all our bags on the trolley headed for the platform entrance. Since this was my brothers second year, they had experienced going through the wall between the platforms and exiting at the Hogwarts train. We got to the wall and Logan ran through first. Mike followed him and I knew I was next. I was so excited to experience going through a magic portal that would send me to the start of my Hogwarts life. My mother wrapped her arms around me and we ran together. I forced myself not to close my eyes and to see what was about happen. We ran straight at the wall and I was immediately ready to crash but we didn't. We went straight through and came out on the other side and I saw the train for the first time. Logan and Mike took the trolley to be loaded on the train and I waited with my mom for them to come back.