Chapter 28: Time Apart

I wake up beside Draco and take a deep breath. I sit up and look around the room. Today's the last day before the winter break and I feel as if I need some time away from Pansy. 

I look down at Draco and smile.  

"Good morning," I say putting my hand on his chest.

Draco opens his eyes and the sun reflects off them. The light shows all the blues in his eyes and they look like diamonds.

"Morning," he says putting his hand over mine.

I turn to look at the clock and we have half an hour before breakfast.

"I should go talk to Maddy and Beth," I say slipping my hand out from under him.

"Okay," Draco says putting his hand behind his head.

I get out of bed and look in the mirror quickly. I fix the small smudge of mascara under my eye and walk out the door. I walk down our corridor into the common room. There are a few people sitting on the couch reading but the room is completely silent. I start to head for the girl's dorms when I hear a voice behind me.

"Good morning Elena," it says

I turn around to see Ben eating an apple behind me.

"Ben..." I say out of fear and anger.

"How's Draco?" He asks mockingly

"What happened to you," I say not giving him any satisfaction with an answer.

"What happened to you?!" Ben snaps stepping towards me.

He caught the attention of the others in the common room and they all turned to look at us.

"What do you mean?" I ask

"You used to be so smart. You used to know a bad guy when you saw him. You used to hate Malfoy!" He says getting angrier with every word.

"Why do you hate him so much?" I say standing my ground.

"Because he has you...." Ben says softly.  "I've ....always been here for you Elena, I've always been here," he says slowly

"Ben I don't understand.." I say confused.

What does he mean? Is he trying to tell me he loves me? I hope not. I can't deal with this right before the break.

"Elena, I just want you to see me as more than the best friend," he says grabbing my hands.

I think it's supposed to be cute but he has a really strong grip.

"I love you, I've loved you for so long...I would be two hundred times the boyfriend Draco is." He says shyly

"Ben...why didn't you just tell me?" I ask smiling at him.

"I was going to tell you on the train here! But then you talked to Malfoy the entire time!" He says letting my hands go.

"Ben I'm sorry. If I knew I would have...."

"No, forget it," Ben says cutting me off. "I hope you enjoy your time with Draco, it won't last," he says walking out of the common room.

What does he mean it won't last? He would hurt Draco. The Ben I know would rather be sad than make me miserable.

I look around to see everyone still looking at me.

"Show's over," I say sternly

Everyone looks away and continue what they were doing. I turn to see Maddy and Beth standing behind each other.