Chapter 5: Dark Times

Claire and I walked out of the room and started to go down the hall. Claire grabs my hand and squeezed it slightly. I wasn't going to let this get to me. I really didn't want to have drama on the first day. I'm sure it'll pass and everything will be fine. 

Claire and I walked into the common room to see Pansy Parkinson. She had dark brown hair that just passed her shoulders. She was tall but not as tall as me. Pansy and I never really got along. She always tried to do better than me in classes but then hated me, even more, when she didn't. I've seen her with Draco before, I amused that they were dating but that was last year.

Speaking of Draco, I hadn't seen him yet. I wasn't really looking for him either. I really only ever see him in class.

Pansy is standing with her friends, Lauren Thomas and Julia Still. The two of them looked very similar. They both had blonde hair a little lighter than mine. They had brown eyes and the always had their hair up in a ponytail.

I saw Julia say something to Pansy, causing Pansy to snap a look in my direction. I just looked back at her and she glared. I decided that Pansy was the last thing I needed to worry about and kept walking.

Claire and I walked up the stairs from the dungeons and to the main floor. I looked out the window as we walked and noticed how the sun perfectly reflects off the lake. There were many things that were beautiful about Hogwarts but none of them beat the beauty and mystery of the lake.

Claire and I kept walking and made it to the grand hall. Seeing the four long tables again reminded me of my first day at Hogwarts.

Clair and I saw Maddy and Beth sitting with the fifth years and headed towards them. I sat in between Beth and Ben and Claire sat beside Maddy and Olly. I look down the table to see Draco sitting with Goyal and Blaise. I don't know why but I felt a sudden happiness seeing him, just like when I saw Maddy and Beth.

"Hey," Ben said nudging my ribs slightly.

"Hey," I said smiling at him.

"We're having a welcome back party after dinner in the common room. It's also a kinda a birthday party for Olly but he doesn't know," he whispered

I totally forgot Olly's birthday! How could I forget? Now I had to think of a super last minute gift.

I knew that the younger students were getting a small orientation after dinner and would be gone for some time.

"Come get me?" I asked pouting a little.

"For sure," Ben said putting his arm around me and giving me a small hug.

Ben and I always arrived at parties together, even if we were the hosts. It made me feel better to arrive with someone. I hated that awkwardness of showing up to a party and having everyone look at you. Ben was always kind enough to arrive with me and take some of the eyes off me. There was even one time when he came just to walk in with me then left.

The headmaster Dumbledore walked up to the podium at the front of the room and the room went silent.

"Good evening students," he said loudly and confidentiality. " welcome back to Hogwarts, I trust you all had excellent summers and I look forward to hearing your tails of rebelliousness," he said with a small chuckle

There was a small laugh from the students but then silence as Dumbledore spoke again.

"Now first off I would like to introduce the newest member of our staff Horace Slughorn. professor Slughorn will be taking his old position as Potions master. Meanwhile, the post of Defence Against The Dark Arts will be taken over by Professor Snape."

This was slightly sad to hear. I loved having professor Snape as my potions teacher. I suppose having a new professor wasn't the worst thing in the world. Maybe I could learn a few new things from him.

"As you all know, you were searched upon your arrival tonight, and you have the right to know why," he said standing up a little taller.

"There was once a student like you. who attended this school, who walked these castles corridors. who sat in this very hall. His name.." Dumbledore trailed off. He straightened up and looked at all of us.

"Tom Riddle," he said confidently.

There was an eruption of chatter around the room and all the students were so surprised that the headmaster was talking about Voldemort.
I reached under the table and grabbed Ben's hand. He squeezes me back letting me know he heard what he said too.

"Today, of course, he is known around the world by another name. " Dumbledore continued "This is why I should warn you, every day, every hour, perhaps even right now. deal forces are trying to get on our grounds but in the end, their greatest weapon is you"

I looked over at Beth who's just as shocked as I am. I give her a small smile and put my attention back in Dumbledore.

"Now off to bed," he said turning in his heel and stepping down from the podium.

I let go of Ben's hand and we all stood up. I looked at Maddy and Claire to make sure they were close behind Beth and I. Ben came up to me on my right side and nudged my arm.

"Bring your friends tonight okay?" We all need a good night after that depressing speech" he says before disappearing into the crowd of people to catch up with Alex.

----------------------------------------------

"What about this one?" Claire asked holding up about the fifth red dress she's tried on.

"For the last time," I said laying down on my bed "they all look good"

"But I want to look good," she said throwing the dress on the bed in the pile of dresses.

"Why? it's just a Slytherin party," I said sitting up on my elbows.

"But.." She said trailing off

"But?" I said getting more interested

"I want to impress Blaise," she said trying to hide the fact that she was blushing by looking at the floor.

"Oh..my...God!" I said jumping up with excitement.

"What?" Maddy said as she walked in the room. I obviously scream so loud that she heard me in the hall.

I put a soundproof charm on the room and told Maddy about Claire's crush on Blaise. Maddy was just as excited as me and we decided that we were goi g to make Claire look absolutely stunning for tonight. It was 6:34pm and the party started at 9:30. We had three hours plus the time we needed to be fashionably late. It was time to get to work.