Chapter 13: I Like Him

The next few days were extremely awkward. Ben wasn't in all of my classes but when he was, he would sit with me. He always asked me the strangest questions just to talk to me. The last few days he hasn't been himself around me and it obvious. He used to be so comfortable around me and now he's mixing up words and laughing nervously.   

The only time I got away from him was when I was in my private room and even then I wasn't alone sometimes. Draco and I had to meet every other day to discuss what was going well for the house and how the first yeas were setting in. We usually got off topic and started talking about Quidditch or how Pansy was a psycho. I got to know a lot about Draco when we were together. All the basic things that really matter like his birthday, favorite things and just a little more about him as a person.

Today was one of my favorite days because I have two spares in the morning, although I do have to go to breakfast. I get out of bed and have a quick shower. Then I grab my wand and use a charm to dry my hair. I throw on some dark jeans and a light blue top. Then I put in a coat of mascara and walk out of my room. I look up to see Draco also leaving his room and he gives me a smile. I force one back but it's so blunt that I would rather be sleeping.

"Good morning grumpy," Draco says nudging my arm

I let out a small laugh and look up at him.

"Sometimes I wish breakfast didn't exist," I say

"I know but at the same time. If breakfast didn't exist, what would we do at eight in the morning" Draco says

"I guess you're right," I say as we walk down the corridor.

"How are you and Ben?" Draco asks

"Honestly," I say stopping "it's extremely awkward," I say looking up at Draco.

"I know, everyone can see it," Draco says leaning up against the wall.

"They can?!" I say embarrassed

"Well, I can." Draco says shrugging his shoulders "but only because I'm with you two a lot" he says

"It's just.," I say looking at the ground

"Just?" Draco says getting off the wall.

"We've been best friends for so long and now he's acting so weird, like he's trying to impress me," I say.

I realize that saying he's trying to impress me probably makes me sound full of myself, but it's true. He's always trying to sound smart and is overly polite. He would open doors for me and ask me how I was every two minutes.

"He'll get over it. I'm sure someone has told him that it's an odd situation" Draco says as we walk down the hall again.

"I'll ask my brother for advice. He's been through this before" I say

We walk into the common room and see Maddy, Claire, Alex and Ben sitting on the couches together. We walk over to them and I can see Ben straighten up and look at me. As strange as he was being recently, he was still one of my oldest friends. I sit down beside him and give him a small hug. Draco sits beside Olly on the opposite couch and gives me a smile.

"Elena, I was wondering if you could help me with something?" Maddy asks

"For sure, what is it?" I ask turning towards her

"I'll tell you later," she says, but it'll only take a few seconds.

It's bluntly obvious that she wants to tell me so I stand and hold out my hand for her. She grabs my hand and pulls herself off the couch. We walk down the private corridor and into my room. I put a soundproof charm on the room and I turn to look at her.

"What's up?" I ask

"I like Olly!" She says bursting with excitement.

"No way!" I say getting excited for her.

They would be so perfect together and they have so much in common. They would be so cute together.

"What should I do? I don't want it to be obvious that I like him. How do I drop hints?" She asks

"Well, you should just start with talking more. Ask him questions and allow him to know you better." I say

"Okay, I'll start today," she says jumping up. "Thanks, Elena," she says hugging me.

"Okay let's go back before they get suspicious," I say walking back to the common room.

As soon as we walk back everyone looks at us. We walk back to the couches acting like nothing happened.

"Come on, we don't want to be late," I say

Everyone gets up and Claire gives me an excited smile. She looks at Maddy and Olly as she asks him what class he had this afternoon. I guess Maddy told Claire and Beth earlier. We all start to walk to the exit when Beth come running out of the corridor.

"Elena, wait up!" She yells running towards me.

"Hey," I say giving her a small hug.

"Did you hear?" She asks

"Yup," I say hoping she's talking about Maddy's new crush.

Beth just smiles and I smile back. I then start to think of who would look good together in our friend group. Obviously Maddy and Olly. Beth would go with Alex or maybe Ben. Claire would go with Blaise if he doesn't think she's a crazy alcoholic. They would all be perfect. I don't know who I would go with. Probably Alex or Ben. Whichever Beth doesn't choose. But what about Draco? Who would he be good with? No one really knows the nice side of him like I do. He doesn't really spend time worrying about girls.
Draco was a big mystery to most people.

We all walked out of the common room. I had Beth on my left and Alex on my right. Alex talked to me about what we should do during our spare and we decide on going flying to prepare for Quidditch. Draco and Beth say they want to tag along and we happily accept. It would be a great time for Alex to get to know Beth a little better. They've never hung out besides when all of us are together.

We make it to the grand hall and I see Hermione and Harry walking down the corridor as were about to go in.

"Morning Elena," Harry says giving me a wave

"Morning guys," I say walking over to them and hugging them both. 

Harry looks at Draco and glares at him. Draco gives a nasty look back and walks into the hall. I know Harry doesn't like Draco but I always just let them have their moments of hatred then part their ways.

I wonder if Harry knows about Draco's father? How could he? Would Dumbledore have told him? I guess that's my next mission.