Chapter 12: News

She looks at all of us with a weird, forced smile.   

"I hope that you will join me in wishing her good luck," Dumbledore says as he applauds her.

We all force ourselves to clap for this strange woman as she stands beside Dumbledore smiling.

"Now before I forget let me remind you all that..." He is then cut off by a small noise from Umbridge. Dumbledore pauses and looks over at her slightly shocked. In all of his years, Dumbledore has never been interrupted and this new woman thinks she can barge in late to the meal then talk over the headmaster? Who is this woman?

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome." She was looking at him.

"And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends" she says looking around.

I look at the few people around me and no one is smiling. Everyone thinks she crazy and extremely rude for interrupting.

"The ministry of magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this.." She pauses trying to think of a word that won't be an obvious diss.

"This historic school. Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and improve practices that should be" she pauses with a small giggle "prohibited" she whispers.

There is silence as she walks to the table of staff and sits down. Dumbledore starts to clap and there is a forced clap from everyone else.

"Thank you, professor," Dumbledore says.

"Now as I was saying. Professor Snape has kindly reminded me that the third floor is strictly out of bounds. We can not always protect you from the magic of these grounds. We can, however, protect you whilst you are in this castle. In order to keep you as safe as possible, you must not go to the third floor." Dumbledore says smiling.

This wasn't meant to scare us. Just to keep us safe. I know that Harry, Ron, and Hermione went there in our first year and nearly died.

I find myself thinking about what Draco said. He really did want to be my friend. He made the effort to make sure I didn't think he was using me. It reminds me of the hope there was for him and how he really was a good person.

I look at him beside me and he's talking to Blaise. They're talking about how ridiculous professor Umbridge looks. Draco must have noticed me looking at him because he focuses his gaze on me and smiles. I smile back at him then look at Maddy.

"What's up?" She asks

"Nothing," I say forcing a smile. "Are you done?" I say looking at her plate.

"Ya, let's go to the common room," she says

I look over at Draco and tap his shoulder.

"We're going. Do you guys want to come?" I ask looking at Blaise.

Draco looks at Blaise and he gives a smile of agreement.

"Sure," Draco says standing.

Maddy and I stand and Draco helps me over the bench. Maddy gets over by using my arm to stabilize herself.

"Hey, Blaise?" Maddy says grabbing his arm.

"Yeah?" Blaise asks

"You're in my potions class, I was wondering if you could explain what happened today. I was kinda out of it" she says in a flirtatious way.