[17]

Chapter 17 : Surprises

"Baobei." I hear someone whisper. I opened my eyes to see Mark. "Oh, you're back already?" I asked, sitting up slowly. "It's one in the afternoon Emily." He answers, laughing as he lifts his head from my stomach where he had placed it. "You changed your hair." I asked, my eyes widening as I see that his usual blonde hair was now red. "Do you like it?" He asks, as he ruffles his hair a little. "Hmm.. Yeah. It's cute." I answered as I laced my fingers through his newly dyed hair, smiling as he shuts his eyes.

"Cute? Can't it be sexy?" He joked, frowning with his eyes still shut. "Sure." I answered, laughing a little. He takes my hands into his, bringing them up to his lips. "I missed you."

It's been a few days since we had time together. Mainly because they were busy with interviews, meet and greets, signings, performances and rehearsals. Other than some video calls and some voice notes, we never really got to do the things we used to be able to do.

"I missed you too." I whisper, smiling as his eyes meet mine. "I have news for you." Mark says as he takes my hands and cups his cheeks with them. "What news?" I asked as I pinched his cheeks gently. "Well, during one of our rehearsals, I thought I was alone in the room when I video called you. But apparently, JYP was passing by and he heard you singing." He says, giving me a smile. My cheeks flush. The only people that have heard me sing is my family and the boys. The girls have heard me playing instruments but that's pretty much it.

"He wants you to come by the company some time soon." He tells me. "Why?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. "Not so sure. Maybe he wants to offer you a once in a lifetime chance." Mark says, bringing me into a hug. "Are you down?" It took me awhile to think about it. His hug distracted me and as much as I wanted to respond, having his arms around me was enough to make me go wild. "Y-Yeah." I stuttered, as he looks up at me in concern. He smiles and puffs out his cheeks. I chuckle and leaned against my headboard.

I wrap my arms loosely around his shoulders, using my hands to play with his hair. His eyes trail down to my lips, before he shuts his eyes and smiles at my actions. I lightly tug at the ends of his hair, making him bite his lip. Worried, I slowly remove my hands. Only for him to put them back. "Why'd you stop?" He asks, opening his eyes. "You were biting your lip. I thought it hurt." I said, furrowing my eyebrows. He chuckles and shakes his head. "It felt nice."

••

Moments later, Mark gives me JYP's number. Mark mentioned that he was too busy to have me walk in, so JYP would talk to me over text message.

JYP :
Hey Emily. I'm JYP. Anyway, I overheard you singing during the video call you had with Mark. I want to offer you a chance to be in a girls group. They have 6 members so far and are in need of a main vocal and maknae. I think you'd be perfect for this role. Anyway, If you are keen just reply this with your details and a short description of yourself. If you have any questions, your brother should be able to answer you. Hope you are interested! -JYP

It took me awhile to process everything. "Gaga." I called from the kitchen. He comes in and sits down. "I have a few questions about the whole JYP situation." I say, to which he nods. "Are there any rules?" I asked. "You have to cooperate with your band members. You have to live with them so it's more convenient. If any fights break out between members, they should settle in maturely. If the fight is extremely severe, the band will be ended." He says, using his fingers to count the rules.

"B-But that means I'll be away from all of you." I said, my eyes widening. "Aigoo.. Emily. We'll be fine! You can visit us and we'll visit you!" He assures me. I sigh and say, "I'll need some time to think."

With that, I walked to the pool where my feet dangled over the edge again. I laid down, and looked up to the clouds that danced around in the sky. I'm going to miss this. I'm going to miss them all. I shut my eyes abruptly, the sun shining directly at me. Then, the glow against my eyelids wasn't there anymore. I opened my eyes to see Mark, holding an umbrella as he sits next to me. I smile and sit up, crossing my legs as I shift myself to face him.

"You're worried about something. What is it?" Mark asks as he ruffles my hair. "I'm just thinking if I should go through with this. He's asking me to join a girl group. I don't know if the members will like me. And in addition to that, I'll be moving into a dorm with them. I won't be able to see you guys that much anymore. I won't be seeing you around that much anymore." I let out, my voice faltering with a crack at the last word. He sighs and shakes his head with a smile.

"I'm not going to tell you that everything will be fine because you will face challenges. Emily. You're a strong girl. You have to choose what you do. We can video chat everyday. We'll text each other. Audio notes. Everything that comes along with that. But, It's not everyday you'll get an opportunity like this. Follow what's in there." He says, pointing to my heart. I sigh and nod. "Promise me one thing." I look up to him and furrowed my eyebrows.

"You'll always be my Emily. Don't look at other guys. Don't wear clothes that expose your skin. Stay with the girls. If any guys hit on you, tell them you have me. I don't plan on losing what we have. I don't want to lose you." He says giving me one of his signature smiles. I chuckle and hug him. "You'll have to do the same then."

••

Me :
Thank you so much! I'm interested in joining the girl group. I've taken a look at the profiles of the girls that you've shared with me and I'm excited to meet them. I'm Emily Wang. 19 years old. I'm overall pretty friendly and a little soft hearted. I love singing and playing instruments. I speak English more fluently than I do with Korean. I'm looking forward to this new adventure.

I smiled and sent the message to JYP. "Baobei. Let's go on dates when we're both free, okay? I'm going to miss not being able to go out to the balcony with you." Mark says, frowning as he pinches my cheeks. I laugh and give him a nod. "Also, I have a surprise for you." He says, smiling as he covers my eyes, bringing me out to the balcony.

There was the distinct aroma of vanilla candles in the air. I place my hands over his, removing his hands from my eyes as he says, "Alright. Open."

My eyes widen as I see some rose petals on the floor, leading to two beanbags with a little mat that had food on it. Mark stands in front of me, giving me a bouquet of flowers. I smiled and thanked him. "Emily. I really can't say how much I appreciate you. From all the little things you do that make me so happy. You've made me feel like I'm the one who's on cloud nine. You've made me want to protect you. You make me want to care for you. And I know, that I want you to be my girlfriend." He says, looking at me with hopeful eyes.

"Finally." I respond, hugging him immediately. He spins me around as he laughs happily.