[13]

Chapter 13 : Prom & Graduation

I brought the robe home in a paper bag as my Dad drove us back. The boys were in their usual discussion while I sat in the passenger's seat, silent. I was a little upset because my Mom couldn't make it. She said that she had work. I couldn't bring myself to believe that my own Mother wouldn't turn up at my graduation. My Dad gave me concerned looks before asking the boys to quieten down. I shut my eyes and turned my back to my Dad and leaned against the head rest.

It's fine I guess. She would never come to anything concerning school anyway so I wasn't surprised. I understood that she had work for all these years. But I wanted her there for when I graduate. I let a tear escape my eye as I thought about this. She was there when Jackson graduated. So why can't she be there for me? I guess favourites are an actual thing in my family.

"Em. We're here." My Dad says, shaking me gently as he opens the door on my side. I open my eyes and unstrap my seatbelt, getting out of the car with my robe and the little hat inside the paper bag. "Get on." Jackson says as he squats. "What?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow. "Oh come on. Just get on". He whines. I jump unto his back as he holds me by my legs. "Why are you doing this?" I asked, laughing as he starts walking. "Because. I know you're upset and this is the least I can do." He says, as I rest my head on his shoulder. "Thank you Gaga." I whisper, tears streaming down my face again. "You're welcome." He says.

I feel someone take the paper bag from me, carrying it. I look over to see Jb, giving me a small smile. I wiped my tears and smiled. We got into the house where Jackson puts me down. "Wait here."

And that I did, I took off my shoes and folded my arms, unaware of what was happening. I hear a loud pop before confetti flies across the room. "Congratulations Emily!" They all shout before revealing my Mother holding a little cake in her hands. Tears streamed down my face as I let out a laugh. "Mom. It's not even my birthday." I say as she comes to me. "I know, I know. But I wanted to do something for you since I couldn't attend the ceremony." I smiled and helped her carry the cake to the kitchen where we all ate pieces of it.

"Hey, Don't you have Prom today?" Jackson asks. I nod, shoving a bit of the cake into my mouth. "Do you have a dress?" Mom asks. I shook my head. "What?!" She lets out a piercing scream. I looked at her, confused. "I don't want to go." I say, giving her a shrug. "Not on our watch. We knew this would happen so we bought a dress for you." Dad says, giving me a proud smile. "But I don-" "Emily." He interrupts. I smile and thank them.

The girls came over to my house because they decided to get ready here. I was a little worried as to what was going to happen. I sat on a stool, waiting for everyone to finish. I didn't know what to do. "Emily. Come here!" Yumi was already dressed and in makeup. Without any warnings, she started doing my makeup. She went for a natural look with me because I usually didn't wear that much makeup. She did my hair too. She curled my hair and sprayed some hairspray to keep the curls for the whole night. At this point in time, I was extremely worried. I didn't know how the dress looked like and I didn't know how I looked like.

"You look great Em. Don't worry."

And with that, My Mom brought in a paper bag. "I hope you like it darling. We'll be waiting in the living room." She says before leaving me with a hug. I opened it and my eyes widened.